Zulu delayed - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM

Default Zulu delayed

It looks like Zulu's release date will be pushed back. I ordered it from Amazon about a week ago anticipating a Feb 24th release. I checked my order status this morning and it now reports an estimated delivery time of Mar 11th. I guess I should have ordered the UK version.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 AM

the "Zulu" you ordered IS the UK version being sold through Amazon US.
it hasn't come out in the US yet.
Amazon sells many import titles.
look for 101 Distribution as the giveaway.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Probably never will be released in the US either. Either way there is really no need, the UK version is f'n awesome and cheap to boot.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM

This the south african production? Made around the time Aparthide was ending?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Historically, 'Zulu' was made at the height of the Apartheid regime.
The extraordinary thing about it (and it's clear from the documentaries and commentary on the disc) is that the production was deliberately and (within South Africa) controversially open in terms of race. There was no discrimination on set and the film itself is at pains to be as even handed as possible. Some of the (white) crew even got into hot water with the Government for fraternising across the racial divide.
Stanley Baker (producer and star) was a well-known liberal (in the US sense) and would not have tolerated any discrimination of any kind.
As far as the disc is concerned it's a no brainer to buy. Looks fantastic and is a sensational movie.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Historically, 'Zulu' was made at the height of the Apartheid regime.
The extraordinary thing about it (and it's clear from the documentaries and commentary on the disc) is that the production was deliberately and (within South Africa) controversially open in terms of race. There was no discrimination on set and the film itself is at pains to be as even handed as possible. Some of the (white) crew even got into hot water with the Government for fraternising across the racial divide.
Stanley Baker (producer and star) was a well-known liberal (in the US sense) and would not have tolerated any discrimination of any kind.
Actually, I was somewhat disappointed in the movie. I bought the blu-ray direct from Amazon UK, and it was my first time to watch the movie (yeah, I have some catching up to do with the classics).

What disappointed me in the movie is that it is told completely from the viewpoint of the whites, defending themselves from the onslaught of "bloodthirsty savages". There's almost nothing told of the viewpoint of the Zulus, other than a brief insight into their battle formation strategy. Perhaps I'm a bit tainted from remembering the mid 1980s TV miniseries "Shaka Zulu", which was a pretty fascinating insight into the life of Shaka, one of the great Zulu leaders. But I thought Zulu was too stereotypical in portraying virtuous European settlers vs. bloodthirsty natives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
As far as the disc is concerned it's a no brainer to buy. Looks fantastic and is a sensational movie.
Yes, it does look fantastic on blu-ray.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM

I saw this film first on History Channel... On their program dedicated to studying historical films, I can't remember what it was called... Mainly what I remember is the Historian's sort of dismissing the project as an attempt to try and throw the black aferican's a bone in the face of rising opposition to the aparthide. From what I remember, they reasoned that the government was contemplating the possiblity that they might not be able to maintain the status quo indefinantly, so they were making moves to try and appease the popualtion they kept down for so long.

I do remember somewhat enjoying the film it's self though, I kind of disagree wtih Cochise though, I didn't get the sense that the Zulu's were just savages.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
What disappointed me in the movie is that it is told completely from the viewpoint of the whites, defending themselves from the onslaught of "bloodthirsty savages". There's almost nothing told of the viewpoint of the Zulus, other than a brief insight into their battle formation strategy.
I hadn't thought of this other angle until you brought it up just now...but I think the filmmakers were right. The suspense comes from not knowing what the Zulus will do where or when, or even exactly how many of them there are. If the filmmakers had given us more to do with the Zulus' point of view, it would have split our focus and taken away from the angle that we are the soldiers, with them right in the middle of this attack. And we don't know any more about these mysterious Zulus that the soldiers in the film do. Remember something very important about storytelling (and life): not knowing can be more frightening than knowing.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Actually, I was somewhat disappointed in the movie. I bought the blu-ray direct from Amazon UK, and it was my first time to watch the movie (yeah, I have some catching up to do with the classics).

What disappointed me in the movie is that it is told completely from the viewpoint of the whites, defending themselves from the onslaught of "bloodthirsty savages". There's almost nothing told of the viewpoint of the Zulus, other than a brief insight into their battle formation strategy. Perhaps I'm a bit tainted from remembering the mid 1980s TV miniseries "Shaka Zulu", which was a pretty fascinating insight into the life of Shaka, one of the great Zulu leaders. But I thought Zulu was too stereotypical in portraying virtuous European settlers vs. bloodthirsty natives.
I think you really have to put Zulu into context. It was made in 1964, around about 15 years after the UK had opened it's doors to immigration from the Commonwealth. The UK was still coming to terms with becoming a multiracial country (and still is, in fact). Hardly any British films at that time dealt with anything from a non-white perspective and you can pretty much count one one hand any British films that featured more than one black actor.

Also, Zulu is essentially a 'British Western'. As you will know, it took a very long time for American Westerns to deal with the Settlers Vs Native American in anything other than the most arbitrary terms and there were a hell of a lot more westerns made than British pictures like Zulu.

On the surface, Zulu can be taken as a rousing boy's own adventure but there really is a lot more to it than that. The Zulus are presented as a disciplined and noble fighting force, an opponent not to be taken lightly (having just crushed the British military at Ishandlwana). Other than the military, there are very few white European/Characters of note and what few there are are flawed rather than wholly virtuous. Several characters meditate and comment on the carnage and most of the soldiers are presented as just doing a job rather than having any great conviction about the reasons why they are there, with mutual self-preservation being the main concern.

A lot of the political stuff is covered in detail in the later Zulu Dawn (still not available on DVD in a satisfactory form) but complaining that this stuff isn't in Zulu is a bit like complaining Assault on Pct 13 doesn't look at inner-city gang culture.

Zulu is a tremendously popular film in Britain from frequent television screenings (a couple of black comedians have joked that it was that the only time you could see a black person on UK TV in the 1970s was during a Bank Holiday showing of Zulu) and it's not accident that Sky and Paramount collaborated to get HD transfers of this and 'The Itaiian Job' (1969) in the nascent days of UK HD adoption. It's not racist but it would be structured differently if it was made today and, if we are honest, so would most WW2 films and westerns from the 60s. Zulu is not alone in it's one-sided attitudes.

Zulu is an entertainment rather than a historical document. There are a few pieces of dramatic licence. For instance, Bromhead (the Michael Caine character) was a couple of years older than Chard (Stanley Baker) and Cpl Hook (James Booth) was actually a pretty good soldier rather than the cynical skiver he's portrayed as.

Last edited by Kid Banana; 02-27-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM

^^^^

Thanks for this very informative post! Who ever said these boards weren't educational?

PS: I just learned another tidbit: a defender at Rorke's Drift, a Swiss serving in a Native Battalion, was the only non-British or Commonwealth soldier to ever win the Victoria Cross. Way to go!
As is mentioned at the end of the movie, the staggering amount of 11 VC's were rewarded for the battle, the greatest amount ever given for a single action.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/battle/roll.htm