The Fugitive - Silent Repressing in VC-1, not MPG-2?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Default The Fugitive - Silent Repressing in VC-1, not MPG-2?!

I just purchased a copy of The Fugitive on Blu-ray for $15 the other day when it was on sale. I know the PQ & AQ aren't all that great...as I had rented it once before. However, what truly surprised me is that when I stuck this disc in my PS3, and played it back the film is now encoded in VC-1. I remember being truly disappointed with the original MPEG-2 HD-DVD & Blu-ray transfers (I rented both to compare them back in the day.) But this transfer, though not all that great, seemed to be a little different. My PS3 meter reads that the film is an VC-1 encode...and Blu-ray.com and High Def Digest all say it is MPEG-2. Was this a silent fix...kind of like the Superman Returns re-release w/true-hd & PCM?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Someone over at blu-ray.com confirmed that they do have a pressing of the disc with an MPEG-2 transfer during the film.

I think that the film was not only re-encoded in VC-1,
but that it is also from a completely different
(slightly better) master.

What made me curious about this was the following:

On the documentary (during the end credits) they talk about how they removed a crew member from a shot during the train wreckage when the film was restored/remastered for the Special Edition DVD.

However, for some reason I thought I remembered the crew member
still being in the shot on both the old Blu-ray AND HD-DVD,
but he is NOT here on this new version.
That is what prompted me to check out the bitrate/encode version, and also leads me to believe this Blu-ray is a slightly remastered version.

Sure it doesn't look great, but it seems to look quite a bit better than I remember it looking on Blu-ray before!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM

That would be nice to have. I briefly had the MPEG-2 BD as I love that film, but the PQ wasn't good enough to justify the price, IMHO. Is there any way to tell if you get the new disc besides popping it in your player and checking the codec?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
Someone over at blu-ray.com confirmed that they do have a pressing of the disc with an MPEG-2 transfer during the film.
I think they're mistaken. I reviewed the disc for DVDTalk when it came out, and the Blu-ray was always VC-1.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/24013/fugitive-the/

It was notable at the time, because this was one of Warner's first VC-1 Blu-rays. They had been using VC-1 on HD DVD since the beginning, but the authoring tools for Blu-ray only supported MPEG-2 during the first few months of the format.

Quote:
On the documentary (during the end credits) they talk about how they removed a crew member from a shot during the train wreckage when the film was restored/remastered for the Special Edition DVD.

However, for some reason I thought I remembered the crew member
still being in the shot on both the old Blu-ray AND HD-DVD,
but he is NOT here on this new version.
Are you sure you're looking at the right shot? This is the one, at time code 18:57.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Former Member

if Josh is correct, that would mean/prove that one's opinion on a title's presentation, over time, can change, if viewing the same thing can have a more positive look far down the line.

i never saw that error w/ the dude. kinda funny.

if this were a different title that had a lesser transfer possibly having a new one, i'd be intrigued. but as is, w/ it being the fugitive, i can shrug, say meh, and move on. it was, to be fair, FAR superior to the sequel.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Are you sure you're looking at the right shot? This is the one, at time code 18:57.

Once you see that shot, you can never go back without that head being in the way. So annoying.

Otherwise, i'm VERY interested in hearing about what happens with this.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I think they're mistaken. I reviewed the disc for DVDTalk when it came out, and the Blu-ray was always VC-1.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/24013/fugitive-the/

It was notable at the time, because this was one of Warner's first VC-1 Blu-rays. They had been using VC-1 on HD DVD since the beginning, but the authoring tools for Blu-ray only supported MPEG-2 during the first few months of the format.
Just checked my disc - it's the USA release and was purchased in Sept 2007 and it's MPEG-2. We can categorically say that The Fugitive has NOT always been VC-1.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM

We seriously need that1guy to come back with some info about the outside packaging and specs. This is going to suck if there's no way to know what we're getting inside.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
Just checked my disc - it's the USA release and was purchased in Sept 2007 and it's MPEG-2. We can categorically say that The Fugitive has NOT always been VC-1.
I can only assume that Warner must have released concurrent pressings from different post-houses, some that used MPEG-2 and some that used VC-1. My copy was from the same period and was definitely VC-1.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
Once you see that shot, you can never go back without that head being in the way. So annoying.
I like to pretend that it's the train conductor's decapitated head.