Where's the Boondock Saints review?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Where's the Boondock Saints review??

Been waiting for a review of it here and at Blu-ray.com. You would think that it would be a more important disk to review over Igor.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

It all depends on when a studio sends a screener, and then prioritizing from there. Most reviewers should have had that for a while now, so I'm sure they will get to it soon.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigi009 View Post
Been waiting for a review of it here and at Blu-ray.com. You would think that it would be a more important disk to review over Igor.
Why? Igor is a day and date release that many people probably haven't seen and they might be curious about. Not to mention it's an animated "kids movie" that I wouldn't really recommend for most kids.... parents making a blind buy thinking "hey it's animated.... might as well get it as we've been wanting to see something new" are now warned by these reviews that it's frankly not that good and largely too scary/dark for the little ones....

Not to mention that there's about 20 days difference between street dates (Igor Jan 20, Boondock Feb 10) and knowing Fox they didn't send them out until the last minute.

And, largely, Boondock Saints is a cult film who's audience already knows if they like it (and those who don't like it already know so because the film has been out for a few years and there is a good chance that they've already seen it on cable or DVD). The films cult fans were probably going to by it anyway so, what's the point?

Anyway....

AVS Review

I'm sure other sites will have the reviews up soon as they've had the disc for a little while now.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 02-23-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

It's in the works...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM

I'm glad it's in the works. I've been curious since the Office Space review (also a cult classic) because Office Space came out at the same time Boondocks did.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm not doing the review for this site, but I've seen the disc and can tell you that it's heavily DNR'ed and edge enhanced. It looks pretty mushy. I wasn't impressed.

The DTS MA track is OK, but the movie doesn't have a very elaborate sound design. I think the surround channels are used maybe 3 times the whole movie. And since almost all of the gunshots are meant to be silenced, there's not a lot of bass action either.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Why? Igor is a day and date release that many people probably haven't seen and they might be curious about. Not to mention it's an animated "kids movie" that I wouldn't really recommend for most kids.... parents making a blind buy thinking "hey it's animated.... might as well get it as we've been wanting to see something new" are now warned by these reviews that it's frankly not that good and largely too scary/dark for the little ones....

Not to mention that there's about 20 days difference between street dates (Igor Jan 20, Boondock Feb 10) and knowing Fox they didn't send them out until the last minute.

And, largely, Boondock Saints is a cult film who's audience already knows if they like it (and those who don't like it already know so because the film has been out for a few years and there is a good chance that they've already seen it on cable or DVD). The films cult fans were probably going to by it anyway so, what's the point?

Anyway....

AVS Review

I'm sure other sites will have the reviews up soon as they've had the disc for a little while now.
Igor wasn't sent out about 15 days or so ago, not too sure what happened with FOX. Boondock Saints actually showed up a day early, which was cool. FOX might be starting to clean up their act again....LOL!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 PM

DVDBeaver Review
HighDefDiscNews Review
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 AM

Here's a quickie review. Packaging: basic packaging no liner notes. Extras: director's commentary was ok could have been more informative, still need to hear 2nd commentary, no other extras besides trailers. Content: good movie, fun ride, gets better with repeat viewings. AQ/PQ: best it's gonna get. Def a buy if you like to watch movies otherwise watch a documentary about the Director pissing everyone off and making no money. (btw a worthwhile Rent) Review done, permission to purchase said cool flick.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteling View Post
Extras: director's commentary was ok could have been more informative, still need to hear 2nd commentary, no other extras besides trailers.
There are also about 20 minutes of deleted scenes.

The second commentary is really surreal. Billy Connolly (who's only in the movie for about 10 minutes at the end) talks through the whole thing about how this was the single greatest experience of his entire life, the best director he's ever worked with, and the most brilliant film he's ever seen.

I'm pretty sure he's said similar things about just about every movie he's ever acted in. He comes across as someone who's just really grateful to be working in movies, no matter what the movie is.