Highlander S1 Delayed to 2010 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 AM

Default Highlander S1 Delayed to 2010

Highlander Season 1 delayed til 2010, preorders wil be honored. You can check info at http://www.legendaryheroes.com/
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 AM

so funny how they couldn't figure this out before the release date.
like they just found out today or something.
what a joke.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 AM

Uh... why are they delaying it by a full year? Why even bother to announce it in the first place then?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 AM

I've got some time, right?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 AM

if they have preorders....why delay it overall....doesnt make sense!

Last edited by obx08; 02-21-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 AM

This is what tvshowsondvd.com said when asked about this release a few days before LegendaryHeroes.com did the 2010 update to their web site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord
I've heard they've had some problems with the set. I've also heard that these are simply upconversions of the DVDs, and not true HD transfers.

My opinion:

One might assume that the 10+ month delay is due to them deciding to do NEW HD transfers rather than DVD upconversions? Otherwise it's going to suck if these are only 1080i(p) upconversions and we have to wait another year just to get a release. I don't think it's worth upgrading if this is what they plan on doing!

I don't know how the series was filmed and/or edited, but if they have to go back and redo the transfers from the negatives and redo the special effects... Then I'm more than willing to pay extra per set for them to spend the money to do a proper release. Hell, legendaryheroes.com was selling the DVD sets exclusively for years for at $100+ per season, if I remember correctly. Granted, $100 is a lot, but I wouldn't mind payinng at least $50-$60 if it meant NEW HD transfers. Plus having any new extras they would include as a bonus, given that they mentioned there would be new extras.

I recommend everyone specifically telling them to do NEW HD transfers and that DVD upconversions will NOT be tolerated We can already accomplish this with our Blu Ray players and standard Upconverting DVD players. Same goes for Xena and Hercules! The DVD sets were great and the extras were extremely thorough. I'd hate to see them screw up the Blu Ray releases because they want to save some money.

May there be only one...

Last edited by benson_automate; 02-21-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Not sure what legendary heroes website you were buying from, but I got Highlander Season 4-6 a year before they hit store shelves from there for $45 each. Maybe they raised the prices afterwards?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 PM

There's a Highlander film relaunch coming out in 2010. I guarantee that's why they're doing this.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Not sure what legendary heroes website you were buying from, but I got Highlander Season 4-6 a year before they hit store shelves from there for $45 each. Maybe they raised the prices afterwards?
There can be only one... legendaryheroes.com

Release Information:

Studio: Davis/Panzer Merchandising Corp.
Release Type: Season Boxed Set
Release Date: 12/10/2001
Number of Discs: 8
Number of Episodes: 22
Running Time: 968 mins
Retail Price: $129.95 (US$)

This is well before the Anchor Bay sets were being released, and even then they weren't on retailer shelves. The Anchor Bay sets were SRP'd at $89.98 (US$) which is at least what they were originally selling for through the legadaryheroes.com web site, as far as I remember.

I purchased mine through DD during a B1G1 sale along with another coupon well after the series was released and discounted in price. I was simply referencing the fact that the DVDs were very expensive when first released. If they need to charge extra to REMASTER the Video and redo any effects shots, then I'm more than willing to pay more than $39.99 per season. That's all.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM

I just wanted to jump in here and say that anyone who thinks the delay has to do with new Hi-Def transfers is going to be disappointed. I worked on the first DVD season of Highlander back in October of 2001 when it was released independently before Anchor Bay distribution and the late Bill Panzer specifically told me that the original negatives for all the seasons were either lost or were burned in a terrible fire that happened to the Panzer/Davis company well before the first season came out.

The only available masters are what they used for all the seasons that were made for the previous DVD sets. The same can be said for shows like Xena and Hercules. Those shows along with Highlander were primarily shot in 16mm and unfortunately most of those negatives are also lost. I was fortunate enough to have worked with Mr. Panzer for a number of years before his untimely death and he was a terrific person and always willing to open up about the Highlander universe. I would not expect these new Blu-ray discs to look very good once they do come out. There are some programs and video product that will just not benefit from the higher resolution of Blu-ray. In the case of Highlander the TV show, the DVD's may be good enough.

DVD FOREVER