'Body of Lies' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Default 'Body of Lies' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Body of Lies.' He says it's a fine return to form for Ridley Scott. This Blu-ray has stunning video, excellent audio, and meaty extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1989/bodylies.html
Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Damn...that is some pretty high marks. I am waiting on a bonus check from work and then I will probably pick this up with Changeling. Have to watch the money..saving up for a new hdtv.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Got this with Changeling, and W. on Tuesday - great flick, great disc!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Great film!

Mark Strong was bad ass!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Great film!

Mark Strong was bad ass!
Yeah he was excellent, totally stole the show whenever he was on screen, but if you liked him in this then you should check out Rock N' Rolla - he is totally bad ass in that too
Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
Yeah he was excellent, totally stole the show whenever he was on screen, but if you liked him in this then you should check out Rock N' Rolla - he is totally bad ass in that too

Yup, mentioned that in the other thread.

"Archie" was bad ass.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Former Member

i found this to be one of Scott's lesser works. still, the audio and video getting near top scores is SPOT on. this is one AMAZING disc!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM

I'd like this movie a lot more if not for the pointless love story that takes over the plot in the second half. As it is, I think Ridley's brother Tony did a better job when he made this movie 8 year ago and called it Spy Game. The story wasn't any more plausible in that one, but it was a lot more fun.

(What is up with Ridley Scott remaking his brother's movies anyway? G.I. Jane is practically a scene-for-scene remake of Top Gun, just substituting a girl for a boy in the lead. And now this. Will he be doing his own "reimagining" of Days of Thunder next?)

On a technical level, I found the lack of bass in the soundtrack more troubling than David did. There are quite a few explosions in this movie, and they're all sonically dead. It sounds like someone mistakenly dropped the .1 channel from the 5.1 mix.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'd like this movie a lot more if not for the pointless love story that takes over the plot in the second half. As it is, I think Ridley's brother Tony did a better job when he made this movie 8 year ago and called it Spy Game. The story wasn't any more plausible in that one, but it was a lot more fun.

(What is up with Ridley Scott remaking his brother's movies anyway? G.I. Jane is practically a scene-for-scene remake of Top Gun, just substituting a girl for a boy in the lead. And now this. Will he be doing his own "reimagining" of Days of Thunder next?)

On a technical level, I found the lack of bass in the soundtrack more troubling than David did. There are quite a few explosions in this movie, and they're all sonically dead. It sounds like someone mistakenly dropped the .1 channel from the 5.1 mix.

Spy Game was awful.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Wow, great review that's got me hyped for this one. Never caught it in theaters, so this should be a good treat on Blu!