Trek missing commentaries - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Trek missing commentaries

I hope somebody can clear something up for me.............

I've seen on more than one site that the Trilogy set of 2-4 will have only the new bonus features included and the 1-6 will have the old & new features??

For example, they're showing that the 1-6 set has two commentaries for Trek 2 (the old & new) and the 2-4 disc as having only the 1 new commentary.......

That means they would have to press DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF 2, 3 & 4 for the two different box sets.

i just don't believe they'd do this. Wouldn't that be a total waste of effort & money have separate blu-ray pressings coming out the same day?
To what end? To induce more folks to buy the larger set? The reason I won't be buying the larger set is that is doesn't have the Director's versions of 1 & 6. Having the old bonus included isn't going to change my mind. I'll still be buying the 2-4 set.

I hope someone sets this striaght before release date.

Also, 2 & 6 are showing that they have the old commentary that was from the longer versions of those two movies. How can they include those---will they be edited down? Meyer comments on just about every change, so how will they do that. Wouldn't going to the trouble of editing down the commentaries almost be more effort than just hunting the original film elements and having the extended editions included. I'm only half serious here, but it does entail some work. It's funny how they choose to spend their money and how they choose not to.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Perhaps I'm answering my own question, but it's possible the trekmovie.com site made the mistake of thinking the Blu-rays wouldn't have the old feature when they should have said the new STANDARD DVD Trilogy set would only have the new features----becuase of reasons to do with space on the single disc set. Anybody know for sure?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM

There's already a Star Trek thread. This could easily be posted in there.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Both sets have the same commentaries. Its the DVD set that will be different...if you already own the two-disc DVD editions, you won't get redundant extras.

And yes, companies will press different discs on the same day.

Rocknrolla from Warner has a movie-only disc and the Digital Copy Special Edition with audio commentary.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Yes, I know that companies press more than one disc per day, but of the exact same format movie only with different features? I can see where they'd press a disc of a movie and also a second 'bonus features' disc for the 2-Disc version or a standard & Blu-ray versions for release on the same day, but the same exact movie only with more features?

But thanks for confiming they were referring to SD DVD. Because they clearly showed the Blu as only having the new features.

Space...........

I thought i was in the existing thread until I went to push submit and i realized it was under a new thread heading---sorry.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
I can see where they'd press a disc of a movie and also a second 'bonus features' disc for the 2-Disc version or a standard & Blu-ray versions for release on the same day, but the same exact movie only with more features?
Reread my response...

Rocknrolla was released on Jan 27th in a movie-only DVD with no extras whatsoever. That same day a special edition with digital copy was also released and this has a full-length audio commentary for the film.

Body of Lies was given the same treatment. It was just released on February 17th with two different DVD versions: movie-only and special edition with audio commentary.