'Transporter' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM
PeterB

Thumbs up 'Transporter' -- High-Def Digest review

Finally checked out 'The Transporter'

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/transporter.html

Really impressive transfer and soundtrack -- definitely the best MPEG-4 encode I've yet seen on either format. Still, little in the way of extras though, which may be a deal-breaker for some collectors.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 PM

It's very annoying that Fox isn't putting many special features on discs that are being touted for their high capacity. I still find it inexcusable for a Blu-Ray title not to have the same special features of the standard DVD version, especially when Fox is charging a premium $40 price tag for each release. The picture and audio could be great but if there are barely any features I feel cheated by the $40 price. Fox either needs to start releasing the features of the standard DVD on Blu-Ray or lower their prices.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 PM

My feelings are screw special features, I never watch them, probably never will. I already have this on DVD but it looks like I'll be picking up this BD also.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM

My Canadian copy of The Transporter lists the specs as,

Single-Layer BD-25
Mpeg-2
18 Mbps

Um,

Is this a misprint. It is Canadian packaging with both french/english on it.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
My feelings are screw special features, I never watch them, probably never will. I already have this on DVD but it looks like I'll be picking up this BD also.
At $40 MSRP I want the damn extras on there regardless of if I watch them or not.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
At $40 MSRP I want the damn extras on there regardless of if I watch them or not.
If you screw the extras what benefit is a BD50 disc?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good - one to put on my list when I get my PS3. Not seen the film but heard good things about it!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 AM

I love the Transporter. I saw it on HBO when it first premiered there and it just felt like the perfect no-brainer movie. It's exactly as Peter describes in the review. I caught it and Transporter 2 on Cinemax HD recently and they both looked good but the BD here really shines all around. Two of my true guilty pleasure movies that I just had to own.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge View Post
I love the Transporter. I saw it on HBO when it first premiered there and it just felt like the perfect no-brainer movie. It's exactly as Peter describes in the review. I caught it and Transporter 2 on Cinemax HD recently and they both looked good but the BD here really shines all around. Two of my true guilty pleasure movies that I just had to own.
How does the sequel compare to the first movie?
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
How does the sequel compare to the first movie?
I enjoyed the sequel, mainly because I really like Statham and his character. It did follow the "Bigger and Louder Must Be Better" trap that most sequels bring about. Big explosions, impossible stunts, good car chase scenes, very implausible plot line, you know, the usual great stuff we like from these kinds of movies.

I liked it, own both of them on DVD (I also have Transporter 2 on HD). If you can deal with the humanly impossible stunts and fights, then you should be able to find some enjoyment from this.

I personally kind of think of the Transporter character as a superhero with no tights.......