Blu about the Classics? Take heart! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Blu about the Classics? Take heart!

David Krauss has interviewed George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video and he's come up with a great article discussing why it takes so long to bring Golden Age gems to Blu-ray:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ke_Heart!/2502
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Great article! Thank you!

While the premise of the story was the golden classics, I would have loved to hear about films like The Exorcist... Any body have information on when and if this title is coming? I have read the rumors but anyone got any new info?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM

good article, but 2011 until Citizen Kane?
that blows so hard it's not even funny.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM

That was a very interesting article. I had been wondering if the HD masters created for DVD releases would just be ported to Blu-ray. I was surprised to find out that they aren't always considered good enough for that. It's good to hear that they are concerned with the older films also looking their best on Blu-ray. I am curious what GWTW will look like.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Perfection, he explains, doesn't mean compromising a film's original elements, such as grain structure, and Feltenstein is adamant that WHV does not condone such tampering, nor does it allow The Motion Picture Imaging Group, the company that produces its transfers, to artificially enhance images or apply digital noise reduction to achieve a more modern, sleek look.
oh really?

Then please ask him why we end up with titles, new and old, that are DNR'd and EE'd to death?

Examples:
The Dark Knight (DNR/EE)
The Departed (DNR/EE)
Enter The Dragon (aliasing)
The Fugitive (aliasing)
Lethal Weapon (DNR)
Lethal Weapon 2 (aliasing)
The Matrix (EE)
The Perfect Storm (aliasing)
Mutiny on the Bounty (DNR/EE)
Twister (DNR)
2001: A Space Odyssey (EE)
The Wild Bunch (EE)
Band of Brothers (DNR)
The Shawshank Redemption (DNR)
The Aviator (EE)

Last edited by WoWoW; 02-17-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added more titles
Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoela View Post
While the premise of the story was the golden classics, I would have loved to hear about films like The Exorcist... Any body have information on when and if this title is coming? I have read the rumors but anyone got any new info?
Sadly, rumor is that William Friedkin is doing to The Exorcist what he did to The French Connection. He drained all the color out of the source to make it black & white, and then digitally colorized that to make it look "pastel". This is apparently his new vision for how his old movies should look.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM

what it is is his "original" vision now being able to be realized.
just like Lucas.
everything is supposed to look like the film "Moby Dick" now, which he cites as his biggest influence.
just call him Freakman from now on please.
Is there a special place in hell reserved for him, Lucas, and Storaro?
I sure hope so.
the fucking loser.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM

I think this article was supposed to make me excited...
but it just made me more frustrated.

Music Man was announced as coming soon for release in 2006, and now it may be 2-3 more years. Star is Born began it's restoration in 2008, and it's going to come out in 2010? I know restorations can take a while...usually 6 months to a year, but it's been under restoration for quite some time. Singin' in the Rain I can understand taking a while since the original negative was destroyed, and the previous master was only 1080i...
but I don't get why some of the releases are taking so long.

And as for the DNR comment, it's a load of crap...unless he's only referring to films made before the 1970's. The recent release Amadeus (1984) clearly had DNR all over, and it's master was made more recently. So I'm not buying that comment.

Also the article says they are about to enter the 4th year of Blu-ray. Blu-ray was released in 2006 was it not. That would make it almost the 3rd year. Just me nitpicking though.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Great Article..looking forward to seeing more of the classics appearing on BLU!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

the releases are being timed for anniversary dates.
that is the reason.
it sucks that they always seem to do this.
so many big dvd releases were done the exact same way.
they just "have" to spread everything out.
you know gotta make it a big fucking deal every time.
I'm soooo ready for Dr. Zhivago, but obviously I have a long wait.
just release the titles when they are done.