Blu-Ray vs Standard DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Default Blu-Ray vs Standard DVD

I would like to have a mention of whether it is worth stepping up to a Blu- Ray
from a standard disc when a particular movie comes out. Like Madagascar 2 got a good review for Blu-Ray but since it wasn't a great movie would I be happy with the standard DVD. I would like the reviewer to say in reviewing a movie that there is no need to buy a Blu-Ray if the standard DVD is just as good. Save your money!
Does anyone agree?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 AM

wrong area for this
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Former Member

(that is true, gr8)...

that said, i disagree entirely. the quality of the film doesn't change the fact that some titles are freaking high def candy, computer animated ones being near the top of that list.

no standard dvd is just as good, save for maybe one or two ABYSMAL blu-ray discs, and even then, that's highly debatable. additionally, i don't know if every reviewer here gets dvd copies of the films they get on blu-ray to review, as well, so how could they recommend such blindly?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:10 AM

Blu Ray is the best possible quality we can get right now, why settle for anything less? I personally use the reviews on this site ONLY for their audio/vido recomendations... movie preference is highly subjectable as is what one person desires in extras. If you have doubts about a movie you could always rent it first, but as far as I'm concerned 99% of my purchases will be Blu. Only real exceptions come in titles that aren't available in Blu (such as the upcoming X-men the Animated series release that I've been waiting a decade for).
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM

Reviewers cant decide what everyone will like or dislike.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
(that is true, gr8)...
Couldn't you then...as moderator...move the thread to the appropriate forum???

To the OP...No I do not agree...SDVD cannot be "just as good" as Blu-ray or there would be no reason for Blu-ray to begin with...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM

It's really a personal decision. Some people claim they can't watch DVDs any more. Personally I think this simply proves they are more interested in the quality of the image and audio than the content of the movie. That's their right, but I find if I'm enjoying the movie the image and audio quality are of secondary importance. But that's me. However, maybe you see what I mean by saying whether BD is worth it is a personal decision based on YOUR priorities.

In general I don't buy Blu-ray unless it's something visually compelling -- such as Planet Earth -- and almost the same price as the DVD. As a result I'm still buying many more DVDs than BDs.

In my view BD is a bit better than DVD, but not compellingly so. The truth is that most new movies are released on DVD and BD from the same master. As a result the DVD often looks pretty darn good relative to the BD. But then I have a BD player (Pioneer) that does a great job on DVDs.

Note I watch in a dedicated home theater using a 110" screen / 1080p projector and a top end 7.2 audio system ... so it's not that I can't see/hear the difference.

Part of the issue is that resolution is the 4th most important determinant re image quality, so if a DVD image can be displayed with excellent contrast, with good colour saturation and accuracy the relatively slight softening of an up-converted image (vs BD) is only a minor disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong, BD is better than DVD, but it's not night and day better. At the same price I'd buy BD, but at a ~30% premium I'll stick with DVD for most genres of film (e.g. comedies, dramas, animation). Only SF -- to me -- may justify BD (and even then I'd probably rent it rather than buy).

My 2 cents ....
Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Personal preference my rear...Honestly...If you cannot tell the night and day difference between High Def and Standard...you either need your eyes checked or your display repaired or calibrated or all three...It literally IS night & day...

As for the people that say they can't watch SDVD anymore they are just being ridiculous and exagerating the difference...Even tho the difference IS night and day...is not to say that SDVD is terrible by any means...But it IS substantially different from Hi Def...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
O_o

Moved to BD area.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
Personal preference my rear...Honestly...If you cannot tell the night and day difference between High Def and Standard...you either need your eyes checked or your display repaired or calibrated or all three...It literally IS night & day...

As for the people that say they can't watch SDVD anymore they are just being ridiculous and exagerating the difference...Even tho the difference IS night and day...is not to say that SDVD is terrible by any means...But it IS substantially different from Hi Def...
I think it depends on the title compared. Space Buddies for instance was a decent upgrade, but not night and day.