Do you want a 480i DVD and a Digital Copy to be included with all BLU-RAY releases? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Do you want a 480i DVD and a Digital Copy to be included with all BLU-RAY releases?
No I want to pay only for a 1080P BLU-RAY copy of the movie 34 33.33%
I would be willing to pay extra for a 480i DVD version with a Digital Copy 8 7.84%
I only want the 480i DVD copy and Digital copy if it does not increase the price 60 58.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default Do you want a 480i DVD and a Digital Copy to be included with all BLU-RAY releases?

I might start reducing my purchases of 20th Century Fox titles that have the 3 disc option. Since I have upgraded all my DVD players to BLU-RAY players I will never use the 480i DVD copy and the Digital Copy that is included with some BLU-RAY movies. My computer has a BLU-RAY drive in it and I have no desire to have a digital copy for portable use. For me it is a waste of money to pay extra for a movie that includes both a DVD and a digital copy that I will never use. I hope studios stop including DVD and digital copies on future releases. I only want to pay for BLU-RAY discs.

"Details see 'Marley & Me' receiving a three-treatment, becoming the first Fox title to include both Blu-ray and standard DVD versions, plus a Digital Copy."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...e_Blu-ray/2481

"Due for release as a three-disc Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo, Fox will debut 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' on Blu-ray March 31 (day-and-date with the standard DVD)."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...n_Blu-ray/2486
Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't mind having the dvd version inculded at the same price as long as there is an option to buy it as just a blu as well. If I'm replacing dvd catalogue titles, I don't need another copy of the dvd.

Don't give a shit about a digital copy though
Old 02-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Personally I'd rather not even have the extra discs, but there's no difference in price, so when it comes down to it I don't really care.

Of course that only applies to me personally, and I can see how including the other versions would make it more marketable to people who have use for them, so I support the studios that are doing this without raising MSRP.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM

I like the idea of getting a DVD for my portable player, friends houses, etc even if it does cost a few extra dollars for it. It would be nice to be given the option of Blu-ray only for the same reason that Dweedlebug mentioned, it's a waste if you already own the DVD. I could care less about digital copies at this point.

In a perfect world releasing a Blu-ray only and a multiple disk option would be ideal. Let the consumers decide based on our wants and needs.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Why the hell do you care? The price doesnt increase. So what difference does it make to you?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Doesn't the price typically increase with Digital copies included in the set?

I would rather have a DVD than a digital copy.

I think the idea of BD+ DVD is good not necessarily for BD owners, but DVD owners. My friend doesn't have a BD player yet, but he bought Sleeping Beauty on BD because he could watch the DVD now and use the BD when he had the cash to upgrade his TV.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

What irritates me is that Di$ney forces you to buy this if you want the cool textured or shiny slip cover.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM

DVD's Are 480p, not 480i. Just so you know... There is a huge difference.
That's why we have progressive scan DVD players.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM

This is about as smart as HDDVD and their DVD/HD combo discs. Complete waste. If you're going the high def direction, don't get hung up on DVD. Waste of time, money, materials, effort. Seriously, this crap needs to end. If we want the dvd we can buy the dvd. If we want the Blu Ray we can buy the blu ray.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM

If a blu-ray movie costs the same with a DVD version with it then i am all for it.

How ever if charging extra and not giving us a choice then i say take that crap away