'A History' of Violence' - High Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 AM

Default 'A History' of Violence' - High Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'A History of Violence.' He says it's a good film, and one of David Cronenberg's best. This Blu-ray beats the DVD, with good though not perfect video, excellent audio, and fascinating supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1886...yviolence.html
Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Peter has reviewed 'A History of Violence.' He says it's a good film, and one of David Cronenberg's best. This Blu-ray beats the DVD, with good though not perfect video, excellent audio, and fascinating supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1886...yviolence.html
Good film, great action and a hot love scene!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 AM

wow, looks good. I never saw the movie and this review makes me wanna see it now.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:28 AM

''A History of Violence' was first released on standard DVD in early 2006. I did a compare of that version to this Blu-ray. The high-def edition is superior...''

...that's a relief.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 AM

I have always liked this movie...though I have never owned it on sd dvd. May have to pick this one up.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan4228 View Post
Good film, great action and a hot love scene!
I presume you meant the second one
I rented this on DVD, but didn't buy it due to HD formats coming out. I'll get it when it's $15 or below.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Geez, another 16bit track on a BD25. It's probably a low bitrate video encode too.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
''A History of Violence' was first released on standard DVD in early 2006. I did a compare of that version to this Blu-ray. The high-def edition is superior...''

...that's a relief.
are you gonna be that poster in this review thread and criticize every thing peter said in his review???

this is a great movie with amazing performances from viggo and ED HARRIS!!!, i cant believe people mention william hurt over him. william hurt was great as well, but ed took the cake, he shouldve got the best supp. nod, i hate the oscars every year. i agree with peter about the beautiful cinematography and some of the scenes being dragged out too long like the second love scene (which was great to look at but did take away from the overall movie) the ending is the only thing that kind of pisses me off, the movie is near perfect up until that and we are left hanging. i like what they do to us, leave it up to us to wonder whether or not his family took him back but it is a bit "c'mon!!!!" the first time you watch it, the times after dont bother me too much.

buying it tonight at best buy for 20!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM

I hate to pisss on everyone's parade, but going by DVDbeaver's screenshots it looks like DNR was applied. That might not bother some, but it'll bother others.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
wow, looks good. I never saw the movie and this review makes me wanna see it now.
It is a very good film though I might not give it the highest of praises that Peter does. It is definitely worth seeing; Viggo is superb.

I actually thought it's faults were a little more pronounced than Peter, but this is nit-picking.