'Frozen River' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Default 'Frozen River' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Frozen River.' He says viewers will be rewarded if they seek this one out.This Blu-ray has muted video and audio and thin supplements. Recommended, but probably not a blind buy.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1996/frozenriver.html
Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 PM

I have it coming via NetFlix and am looking forward to it. It's supposed to be very good, with a great performance from Melissa Leo.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM

saw this in the theater over the weekend. like the reviewer said it's got its flaws (though i can't say for certain that his misgivings are the same as mine), but yeah, overall it's a very good movie and at least worth viewing if not owning.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Definitely looking forward to renting this one, but I suspect I'll probably have to buy it to be able to see it on Blu in Australia...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

I actually went to see this in a movie theatre last August (It was playing in my neighborhood) and thought it was terrific. With its recent awards attention it may find an audience. This is what Indie Filmmaking is all about; much love and detail went into this film, thanks to Courtney Hunt. She is a name to watch for in the future.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Never heard of this one. May have to check it out.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure how this one got past me. My grandparents used to own a campground (now run by my uncle) in upstate NY along the St. Lawrence. I spent many summers and more than a few winters in that area. I'll definitely have to check this out.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 PM

My wife and I watched this one last night and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure that the film was not going to be totally depressing and wanted to make sure my wife was prepped in advance for something that wasn't necessarily going to be light and happy. She said she was up for it, so we sat down and watched and enjoyed the film a lot. Definitely not a very happy film, but not really that dark and depressing either. Just a little tough to find a lot of light moments in it (there are a few, but just not that much comic relief tossed in).

Most definitely worth a rental, though I'm not sure it's something that most people would watch repeatedly.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM

As soon as the film takes a slight price drop count me in...but $30.00 is just a bit too expensive.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm not sure how this one got past me. My grandparents used to own a campground (now run by my uncle) in upstate NY along the St. Lawrence. I spent many summers and more than a few winters in that area. I'll definitely have to check this out.
In the small world category, when the credits were rolling my wife noticed Plattsburgh, NY mentioned. My parents lived there when I was a toddler, and wound up having one of my brothers there before moving back home when dad's military service was completed. They lived in a mobile home that was eventually moved back to their childhood home area, and we lived in that until they built a house a few years later.

I honestly don't remember much, if anything, about my time there, but my parents definitely remember live there. I could probably talk with my mother about life there for hours, and she'd probably recognize a lot of the scenery from the film.