Quote of the day = "What's Blu-ray?" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default Quote of the day = "What's Blu-ray?"

Well, I guess it'll be a while until Bluray is a household standard. I mean, here I am thinking Bluray is as common as standard DVD (I no longer buy or rent SD DVD), when I get a reality check at my local video store.

here's what happened:

I go to local video store and rent a few movies on Bluray.

While there, a woman comes in and goes to the counter with a disc and says to the store worker, "Excuse me, I rented this last night, but it doesnt play.. it doesnt work"

The worker asks, "Is your machine hooked up correctly?"

The woman answers, "yes"

The worker looks at the disc, see's its a Bluray and says, "Is your firmware up to date?"

The woman asks, "What are you talking about?"

The worker says, "Its a Bluray Disc.. you do have a Bluray Player, right?"

The woman says, "Whats a Blu-ray?"

The worker says, "A Blu-ray Player is needed to play a Blu-ray Disc. Its a newer format than DVD, Its not a DVD"

So, after the woman re-rented the movie on standard DVD and left, I gesture towards the worker, "That was funny"

She see's I have a Bluray Disc in my hand and asks me, "Do you have a Bluray player?"

I laugh and say, "yes"

She says, "Dont laugh. You'd be surprised how many people come in here, rent a Bluray, then call us or come back and complain that their movie-disc wont work. And 100% of the time, its because they rented a Bluray Disc and they dont even have a Bluray Player"

I say, "Maybe people that got HD TV's for Christmas think that that's all they need to watch HD movies.. like they dont realize that to watch a Bluray Disc you'd need two new pieces of hardware: an HD TV and a Bluray Player?"

The worker says, "No, not even. Half these people have a standard TV and a regular DVD player. They dont even know what a Bluray is, like you just witnessed. They just rent 'em, then complain that they dont work on their regular DVD player"
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Haha.

The Video Ezy rental store we have in town says before you hire it "Do you have a Blu Ray player?" if they reply "no", they ask you nicely to get the DVD copy off the shelf instead.

I always get asked if i have a PS3 or a standalone BD player whenever i purchase non-rental Blu Ray movies.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned

And keep in mind I'm not land locked in some town in the USA where technology is unheard of. I'm dead center inbetween Manhattan and The Hamptons. There's Best Buys, K-Marts, Costco's, Circuit City's (well, closing), Home Theater stores, High End Audio/Video shops all around.

How can anybody say, "What's Bluray?" and mean it?

I understand hearing of Bluray and not understanding what it is.. See what I'm saying? Big difference.. What I'm saying is, these people have never heard of Bluray.. As if the worker said, "Do you have Ayurveda?"
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 PM

We exist in a bubble here online. We hang out in communities specifically delegated for HD media, and most of us probably no longer rent/watch/buy DVDs much anymore...but it's different "out there".

I am the one and only person I know who owns a stand alone player, and the few people I know with PS3s only use them for gaming, not for Blu-rays at all. I am the only person I know IRL w/ an HD DVD player, and all of the people I know with HDTVs do not even have HD service except for one.

I went to a friends house the other day b/c his mother needed help w/ her new HDTV and BD player, apparently she was angry she wasted money on the same thing she already had. I went with him to her house b/c I was the one who suggested buying her the BD player in the first place. We got there and she was complaining about how she spent so much money to have the same thing she already had, and that she was going to take the player back.

I took a look at how everything was hooked up...annnnddddd, as you might expect, the BD player was hooked up with composite AV cables

Lets face it, we're still by far a minority, and Blu won't be taking the reigns from DVD for a few years at least, if ever.

I blame consumer ignorance
Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I work in an HMV store in London, and maybe you'd be surprised how often similar sort of exchanges take place.

Some people just think it's fancy packaging, some people have heard of Blu-ray yet don't know what it is. Others buy Blu-rays thinking their DVD players will run them just fine, and have to return them.

Some people know what Blu-ray is and have them bought for them even if they own DVD players, whilst some know what it is, have a player/PS3, and buy them frequently.

Blu-Ray has not taken off into a mainstream audience, yet. If people ask if it's worth upgrading, I tell them not to worry too much about doing it yet, but the difference is extraordinarily noticeable compared to DVD.

My parents (I'm 19) still don't appreciate the requirement to upgrade, yet they'll appreciate the quality of it. Blu-ray is a luxury item. I adore cinema, and films, and graphical prowess, and sharp images, and all that lovely jazz. Many people are happy with their old VHS collections because they can enjoy the same films they've enjoyed for countless years at no additional cost.

When people ask "what's Blu-Ray?", you've got to understand they haven't been trawling through forums, reading magazines, taken in the marketing, or have an interest in home cinema or similar. A lot of people probably only got into it through their consoles anyway...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 PM

I'm in a small town where it takes ages for cool stuff to come here, yet i know plenty of people who are into Blu Ray, who oddly enough, DON'T have a PS3. Most of them are into media orientated PCs etc My friends know about Blu Ray a lot now since i'm always telling them "OOOH I GOT *enter cool title here* on BD!"
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM

I wouldn't doubt it. It's funny being a part of a community such as these boards and being somewhat isolated in terms of the public; when you do actually interact with family and the public at large you realize how in the minority we are in terms of being in the know.. I would venture 75% of people have no idea what Blu Ray is and will likely never be on board.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qube View Post
We exist in a bubble here online.
But every commercial on TV for a new release says "Own it this Tuesday on DVD and Blu-ray High Def!" I barely watch TV and I've been bombarded with this message. How can someone never have even heard the name?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 AM

A lot of people "know about" Blu-ray
but a lot of people don't know what it actually is.

As someone who works for Blockbuster, we make it a point to ask everyone if they have a Blu-ray and an HDTV when they are renting a Blu-ray disc. If they answer yes we scan a barcode located on the register that adds a flashing warning to the account that says
"RENTS BLU-RAYS" so that we don't have to ask them every time.

Most customers still think that Blu-rays will play in a normal DVD player...
or that DVD's won't play in a Blu-ray player. This is the biggest misunderstanding
for the average joe out there right now, and it probably should be cleared up ASAP
by the BDA using some marketing...it practically
needs to be shouted from the rooftops IMO.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Only I and my brother have standalones. I don't know anyone with a PS3. But then, as a law student, I don't know anyone who is a movie fan like I am.