Make some Predictions for Currently Unannounced/Not Rumored Releases for 2009 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Make some Predictions for Currently Unannounced/Not Rumored Releases for 2009

Aside from The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek films, Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, Indiana Jones, and anything else we've already had rumored or announced for this year already, I want you to make 5-10 predictions for releases you think will hit in 2009.

For my predictions, I'm going to use logical deduction (holidays, film anniversaries, celebrations, tie-ins, existing HD transfers, etc.) to see if I can correctly pick some films we will see on the format before the year is out.

Note: New releases don't count because they are pretty much a given.

1. Apollo 13
This would be a catch-up title for Universal and they could wisely time it to coincide with another Ron Howard time capsule -- Frost/Nixon. Late April perhaps? That would mean an announcement would be coming soon.

2/3. Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz
Two more Universal catch-up titles from HD-DVD. I have these "Pegg-ed" (sorry, bad pun) for May when Pegg fever hits full-roar as Star Trek opens in theaters. I have a feeling his turn as 'Scotty' will be cinematic gold.

4. Back to the Future Trilogy
The HD transfers exist. The DVD's were just re-released. I think the only reason we didn't get the Blus at that time was because the timing just wasn't right for them marketing-wise. I think this will be one of Universal's holiday season big-guns this year.

5. It's a Wonderful Life
The format can't go another Christmas without perhaps the best-loved holiday film of all-time. I think this year we'll finally get it as b&w classics slowly trickle onto BD (not that they won't include the colorized version because they more than likely will).

6/7. Fight Club, Se7en
Hard to believe we're getting so damn old but Fight Club is 10 years old this year. I think that and the demand will signal this release. And because director Fincher is in the spotlight with his Benjamin Button garnering 13 Oscar nominations (including his first ever Best Director nod), I see no reason for Warner/New Line to withhold either of these two Fincher/Pitt collaborations. They would be wise to time them with Ben Button's BD debut.

8. 10 Things I Hate About You
Not my favorite film to watch ever (and by far not the worst romantic comedy I've seen either) but I just have a hunch it's on the way. 10 Things is also 10 years old this year and we all know it's got the allure of having future Oscar-winner Heath Ledger as its male lead.

9. The Green Mile
Yep, it's 10 years old too! Warner will probably give it the digibook treatment as it did for another Darabont/King work -- The Shawshank Redemption.

10. Do the Right Thing: Criterion Collection
Now that Criterion has joined the BD revolution, it seems the floodgates could be open for a ton of their titles. There may well be a rights issue (not sure if Criterion's rights carry over to another format or if they have pay the studios again!) that could possibly prevent this from happening, but I think it's a timely release if it indeed happens. The film is 20 years old and we've come a long way in race relations since its release -- though we still have a lot further to go!

11. Field of Dreams
For no other reason than it turns 20 this year and it's already been on HD-DVD from Universal. I think we'll see it some time during baseball season -- though they really should have announced this by now if it's gonna happen, so I'm going out on a limb here. We need a positive baseball movie like this to remind us of times when the game was not about performance enhancers.

12. Alien
At least the first one. But I'm gonna say all of them. Why? Alien is 30 this year. And Sigourney Weaver is making her first really big movie in quite a while. James Cameron's Avatar. More on that below!

13. Titanic
The ship sailed long ago so to speak on getting this out for a 10-year-anniversary release but I think that since James Cameron's first movie since Titanic (Avatar) bows at the end of this year (December to be exact), we will see Paramount take of advantage of it and release this in time for Christmas shopping season. If not then, then maybe in early 2010 when Avatar hits BD.

Give it a whirl, guys & gals...

Last edited by dmarvin; 02-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Hopefully Universal would remaster FIELD OF DREAMS. The previous DVD and HD DVD versions had awful transfers. I second the prediction. Also I predict a 20th Aniv of BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY from Universal.

It is 20th Aniv of THE ABYSS and THE WAR OF THE ROSES, both from Fox. Those may be released sometime this year.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Well probably see a Dark Knight re release with more extras
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM

i want alien 3 and 4 on blu ray the most. alien already looks pretty good on dvd it's hard to imagine it looking any better, just a tad sharper and a bit more cleaned up but that's about it. aliens won't look very good on blu, it's a grainy film. alien 3 and 4 will probably look great.

ugh i want the quadrilogy on blu they're like my favorite movies.

and im hoping metropolis comes out soon...
Old 02-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Shrek 1 and 2
Scarface
Titanic would be a nice release to see...
Open water
The Outsiders
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM

I am really hoping for Gladiator, Tombstone, Aliens 1 & 2 (3 & 4 ...urgghhh wish they were never made). Would also love to see Green Mile, Fargo etc
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Alien is 30
Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM

I believe we'll see these on Blu-ray this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

- Night of the Living Dead
- Shaun of the Dead
- Slither
- Van Helsing

Also these were originally mentioned by Universal for HD DVD release in 2006 which never happened. I'm hopeful they'll come to Blu-ray soon.

- Dracula (1931)
- Frankenstein (1931)

And I suspect the original Wolf Man is likely due to the remake coming to theaters this fall.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I am really hoping for Gladiator, Tombstone, Aliens 1 & 2 (3 & 4 ...urgghhh wish they were never made). Would also love to see Green Mile, Fargo etc
Fargo is coming in May to France and the Netherlands so who knows we may see a US release this year.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Shrek 1 & 2, and Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (These three hopefully will coincide with Funny People).