Akira Review 2/24/09 18mbps - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Akira Review 2/24/09 18mbps

I saw this review at the old anime on dvd site now mania. They review the upcoming Akira release. I posted here since I think everyone should pick this classic up fast since the First Pressing will have the cool slipcase and guide.
Not sure if many here are familiar but many Japanese DVDs/ now Blu-Rays it seems include extras exclusive to initial pressing and I for one don't want to pass this up. I couldn't find an Akira page here so I posted the review link.
BTW it's AQ looks like new benchmark, let's cross our fingers.
http://www.mania.com/akira_article_111594.html

Last edited by MaxSteling; 02-07-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 PM

I cannot wait to get my hands on this baby
Old 02-07-2009, 01:25 PM

I'm shitting my pants over the audio specs!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Is the dub the Pioneer dub? That is the only way I am going to buy it, as I never want to hear the Streamline dub ever again.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Is the dub the Pioneer dub? That is the only way I am going to buy it, as I never want to hear the Streamline dub ever again.

Fuck the dub, the original Japanese soundtrack is what will be featuring that 192khz/24 bit madness!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Former Member

call me crazy, i prefer watching anime dubbed in english if it's a good one.

but for reviewing, always the original language.

i want this, may grab it week of release. still deciding.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM

This would be a triple dip for me. As I have the Steamline Dub on VHS, the Pioneer/Geneon dub &sub after the remaster, and finally this release day one.
The only extra I really would like is a director's commentary however
since this title has changed hands so many times I'm not sure who has rights to which extras. The Australian DVD release had both English dubs however I don't think Bandai would ask/pay to include the original Streamline dub, I believe owned by Manga currently. Of course since I watched that tape so many times I prefer that dub with all it faults to either the Japanese or 2nd dub.
I guess the dividing line I noticed who prefers which English dub is when it was originally seen on VHS/LD/ theater or DVD. Plus it has Cam Clarke as Shotaro Kaneda, aka Max Sterling from Robotech, aka Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, aka Drizzt Do'Urden from Forgotten Realms: Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn , aka Leonardo from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Of course the Steamline dubs offer fond memories since they and Manga represent alot of the anime I pay my early dues to.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 AM

Johnny Yong Bosch made Kaneda his, I cannot listen to any other dub.