'Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Default 'Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway.' 'Rent' fans,you've gotta read this review, but there is definitely cause to rejoice. This Blu-ray is a top-notch presentation of a top-notch production. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1970...ilmedlive.html
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm thrilled to see such high marks for this -- I hope more people check it out as a result. I saw the original cast 6 or 7 times, and having such a strong affinity to this cast, was expecting to be underwhelmed. But I watched it the other night and was captivated: the cast was great, the show still packs a powerful punch, and the PQ/AQ were wonderful. It's one of the rare times I poured through every extra immediately after watching the main feature. I would personally rate this as "must own."
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM

Mine arrived today!!!!

Just watched the Idina Menzel Soundstage too Hooray RENT NIGHT!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Hope that someday we may get blu-ray reviews of some great operas especially Puccini's La Boheme which this musical is based on.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I just hope that the disc does well and Sony or Universal see the prospect that releasing closing shows on general release is a GOOD thing.

There are so many great leading parts out there and so many great musicals long since gone....

Into The Woods (Which Granted you can get on DVD lol), Always (Brilliant piece about Wallace Simpson), Little Women, Sunset Blvd (Pet Clark or Elaine Paige version... Glenn Close, URGH!!!), WICKED - Kerry Ellis, Idina Menzel, Kristin Chenoweth.....
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM

Frankly I'd still like to see "Rent" as intended for the stage, with the ORIGINAL CAST! Not knockoff's!
Still the guy playing Mark sounded like he was TRYING to sound like Anthony Rapp. Idiot.
I'm of two minds on this as well. Some thing's work better in the Broadway show and others don't, casting and regular stuff. In the movie Benny isn't quite as much of a giant Bougie prick and Joanne isn't as much of a snob.
For casting the Angel person wasn't as good as Wilson Jermaine Heredia. He just DOESN'T pass in the least! At least Wilson looked slightly effeminate so he could pass better in drag then the angular faced guy playing him in this production.
Oh and I'm a bit fucking mad the WHOLE original cast didn't appear for the last show. You fucking kidding me?! Where were Adam Pascal and Idina Metzel?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM

To be honest... when this was filmed Adam I think was working on Chess around the world and Idina was very busy with TV spots and recording in london and doing promo stuff in the UK, she was very well recieved so was prolly kept here by WB Execs to continue the promo machine

On a side note... the Chess Concert that Idina and Adam appeared in is due for a CD/DVD release in may apparently... I'm PRAYING for a bluray release but I won't hold my breath
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM

OH and check out Idina Menzel on PBS Soundstage if you can.. she does a fantastic solo version of Finale B
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
Frankly I'd still like to see "Rent" as intended for the stage, with the ORIGINAL CAST! Not knockoff's!
Still the guy playing Mark sounded like he was TRYING to sound like Anthony Rapp. Idiot.
I'm of two minds on this as well. Some thing's work better in the Broadway show and others don't, casting and regular stuff. In the movie Benny isn't quite as much of a giant Bougie prick and Joanne isn't as much of a snob.
For casting the Angel person wasn't as good as Wilson Jermaine Heredia. He just DOESN'T pass in the least! At least Wilson looked slightly effeminate so he could pass better in drag then the angular faced guy playing him in this production.
Oh and I'm a bit fucking mad the WHOLE original cast didn't appear for the last show. You fucking kidding me?! Where were Adam Pascal and Idina Metzel?
Before you get mad at the whole cast not being there you might want to know that Adam gave up his tickets to be auctioned off to benefit BCEFA.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Watched it earlier today. Do I wish it was the original cast? Sure, but I thought the cast that closed it out was excellent. It's fantastic to own the final showing of this musical on Broadway. Loved it, loved how they even left in the intermission.

Great, great disc, one of the best in my collection. Loved the sound, loved the video quality, an easy 5/5 for me.