PS3 All-Region Blu-Ray Issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Default PS3 All-Region Blu-Ray Issue

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a strange problem when playing an all-region (region 0) blu-ray dvd on an 80g PS3? On both the region 0 version of "Black Sheep" and "Hannibal," I can't get any of the special features to play. I highlight them, press enter, and it goes right to the main menu again. The same disc plays fine, including the special features, on my Vaio PC with Blu-Ray drive. Apparently this is a PS3 issue? I would appreciate any help.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Brown View Post
I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a strange problem when playing an all-region (region 0) blu-ray dvd on an 80g PS3? On both the region 0 version of "Black Sheep" and "Hannibal," I can't get any of the special features to play. I highlight them, press enter, and it goes right to the main menu again. The same disc plays fine, including the special features, on my Vaio PC with Blu-Ray drive. Apparently this is a PS3 issue? I would appreciate any help.
I'm not really sure about those disks, but are the special features in HD? If they're in SD, they might be PAL, and won't play on NTSC machines. This happened to me with Escape From New York.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM

The extras are encoded in PAL format. Unless you have a Region B/PAL PS3 and a TV that accepts and displays 576 PAL, you won't be able to play the special features.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the help, but I'm confused.Mmy Sony Vaio PC Blu-Ray plays the features without any problems.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
The extras are encoded in PAL format. Unless you have a Region B/PAL PS3 and a TV that accepts and displays 576 PAL, you won't be able to play the special features.
Interesting. I had no idea that some all region discs actually have special features region locked. Definitely something to watch out for when importing. Fortunately, the only blu-rays I've imported are the UK Batman and Batman Returns and all of the special features work on my U.S. PS3.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
Interesting. I had no idea that some all region discs actually have special features region locked. Definitely something to watch out for when importing. Fortunately, the only blu-rays I've imported are the UK Batman and Batman Returns and all of the special features work on my U.S. PS3.
it's maybe not about region coding of special features, but probaly PAL/NTSC issue....
Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Brown View Post
Thanks for the help, but I'm confused.Mmy Sony Vaio PC Blu-Ray plays the features without any problems.
I'm pretty sure all computer drives are dvd region free, meaning it would be able to play them.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0d View Post
I'm pretty sure all computer drives are dvd region free, meaning it would be able to play them.
Region coding has nothing to do with the NTSC/PAL video formats. PCs can playback video at multiple resolutions and framerates, but it sounds like a NTSC PS3, while it could certainly play the videos if they were ripped and played from the XMB video player, it can't play PAL video from a DVD or BD.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM

PS3 won't play an ALL region blu ray

I just got all region blu ray from the UK and it wont play just keeps loading, anyone have anything here??
Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM

What's the disc?