PS3 All-Region Blu-Ray Issue - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default PS3 All-Region Blu-Ray Issue

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a strange problem when playing an all-region (region 0) blu-ray dvd on an 80g PS3? On both the region 0 version of "Black Sheep" and "Hannibal," I can't get any of the special features to play. I highlight them, press enter, and it goes right to the main menu again. The same disc plays fine, including the special features, on my Vaio PC with Blu-Ray drive. Apparently this is a PS3 issue? I would appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Z0d's Avatar
Z0d Z0d is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Brown View Post
I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a strange problem when playing an all-region (region 0) blu-ray dvd on an 80g PS3? On both the region 0 version of "Black Sheep" and "Hannibal," I can't get any of the special features to play. I highlight them, press enter, and it goes right to the main menu again. The same disc plays fine, including the special features, on my Vaio PC with Blu-Ray drive. Apparently this is a PS3 issue? I would appreciate any help.
I'm not really sure about those disks, but are the special features in HD? If they're in SD, they might be PAL, and won't play on NTSC machines. This happened to me with Escape From New York.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Super-VHS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,570
Default

The extras are encoded in PAL format. Unless you have a Region B/PAL PS3 and a TV that accepts and displays 576 PAL, you won't be able to play the special features.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the help, but I'm confused.Mmy Sony Vaio PC Blu-Ray plays the features without any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
OneManShow's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
The extras are encoded in PAL format. Unless you have a Region B/PAL PS3 and a TV that accepts and displays 576 PAL, you won't be able to play the special features.
Interesting. I had no idea that some all region discs actually have special features region locked. Definitely something to watch out for when importing. Fortunately, the only blu-rays I've imported are the UK Batman and Batman Returns and all of the special features work on my U.S. PS3.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
Interesting. I had no idea that some all region discs actually have special features region locked. Definitely something to watch out for when importing. Fortunately, the only blu-rays I've imported are the UK Batman and Batman Returns and all of the special features work on my U.S. PS3.
it's maybe not about region coding of special features, but probaly PAL/NTSC issue....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Z0d's Avatar
Z0d Z0d is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Brown View Post
Thanks for the help, but I'm confused.Mmy Sony Vaio PC Blu-Ray plays the features without any problems.
I'm pretty sure all computer drives are dvd region free, meaning it would be able to play them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
MrAngles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0d View Post
I'm pretty sure all computer drives are dvd region free, meaning it would be able to play them.
Region coding has nothing to do with the NTSC/PAL video formats. PCs can playback video at multiple resolutions and framerates, but it sounds like a NTSC PS3, while it could certainly play the videos if they were ripped and played from the XMB video player, it can't play PAL video from a DVD or BD.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
PS3 won't play an ALL region blu ray

I just got all region blu ray from the UK and it wont play just keeps loading, anyone have anything here??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Super-VHS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,570
Default

What's the disc?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import Blu-rays - Region Free & Region B Cochise Blu-ray Disc Exchange 1 11-08-2010 01:41 PM
Region B, Asain & Region A Blu rays for sale bosskmr Blu-ray Disc Exchange 2 01-12-2010 04:53 PM
"Blu-ray bought the rights to all movies, so it's all Blu-ray now." Ange HD DVD Software General Discussion 1 01-09-2008 12:12 PM
Region coding an issue? zaphod General Discussion: Both Formats 18 11-01-2007 06:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off