'Nights in Rodanthe' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 AM

Default 'Nights in Rodanthe' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Nights in Rodanthe.' He's not the biggest fan of this type or romantic film, but says this Blu-ray is pretty nice, with attractive video, fairly good audio, and lots of supplements. A rental for fans of super sappy romance.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1983...srodanthe.html
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Three stars for a bad review?

Peter,
I saw this predictable mess in the theater. It was the first movie that I ever tried to fall asleep in. I just don't see how you can justify giving three stars to this melodramatic BS. I guess I'm a little miffed about your recent review of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" which you totally trashed. Had this movie come out without its stilted predecessor for comparison, people would have been astounded. It just baffles me that you could trash a movie for its realism when hundreds of effects guys gave their all to make it as realistic as technology would allow. I just think you're misleading people with that three star review. By the way, five stars is too ambiguous. You guys need to go four stars like the rest of the planet.
Good site, Judge Tregs
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregs View Post
Peter,
I saw this predictable mess in the theater. It was the first movie that I ever tried to fall asleep in. I just don't see how you can justify giving three stars to this melodramatic BS. I guess I'm a little miffed about your recent review of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" which you totally trashed. Had this movie come out without its stilted predecessor for comparison, people would have been astounded. It just baffles me that you could trash a movie for its realism when hundreds of effects guys gave their all to make it as realistic as technology would allow. I just think you're misleading people with that three star review. By the way, five stars is too ambiguous. You guys need to go four stars like the rest of the planet.
Good site, Judge Tregs
Peter didn't give the movie 3 stars, he gave it 2.5. He gave the disc 3 stars, due to good picture quality and descent audio. If you add the four categories and divide by four you will see it averages out to being a 3 star disc.

Still, you may argue that 2.5 stars is still too much for this movie, that is your prerogative. I have not seen the movie yet, but based on Richard's recent movies I'm going to pass.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM

I remember the trailer for this movie to be most LOL thing I've ever seen. Seriously watch the trailer, me and my friends were dying in the theaters.

so big pass.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

This movie is better than King Kong? You're seriously saying this.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

I don't think you can really compare genres, King Kong and Nights In Rodanthe aren't that similar.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I have Netflix so I watch pretty much anything these days, and I just finished watching this predictable, lame mess. Is it possible, is it in anyway remotely possible that ANY romantic movie of this genre could EVER, EVER not end EXACTLY THE SAME WAY?!? How could anyone give this movie 2 1/2 stars? 1 star at best. I don't care who the actors are, this mess of a movie and the way every single scene is a cookie-cutter duplicate of another one from this type deserves to be totally trashed. Heck, "Message in a Bottle", another one the same writers mess, is the exact same movie, just set to a different backdrop. Does anyone who calls themselves a fan of these movies even notice this? How could they not?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmil978 View Post
I have Netflix so I watch pretty much anything these days, and I just finished watching this predictable, lame mess. Is it possible, is it in anyway remotely possible that ANY romantic movie of this genre could EVER, EVER not end EXACTLY THE SAME WAY?!? How could anyone give this movie 2 1/2 stars? 1 star at best. I don't care who the actors are, this mess of a movie and the way every single scene is a cookie-cutter duplicate of another one from this type deserves to be totally trashed. Heck, "Message in a Bottle", another one the same writers mess, is the exact same movie, just set to a different backdrop. Does anyone who calls themselves a fan of these movies even notice this? How could they not?
I could have written the exact same thing, and actually did say similar words in a review at Amazon. I didn't have any advance knowledge that Messasge in a Bottle was written by the same person that wrote Nights in Rodanthe but as the film progressed I could see the parallels laying out in front of me and kept feeling more and more that the film I was watching most recently (Nights) was a film I had seen before (Message...)

In the end, Sparks' brand of tragic love story just makes me mad. I wrote elsewhere (in comments on a review someone else did at Amazon) that my feeling is that Sparks is a lazy writer. He's too lazy to write a complete story, with a complete ending, so he goes for the tragic and stabs at potential happy endings. Perhaps it's just a case of someone that has never had their own happy ending, and in turn he feels he can't let anyone else have one, but either way I've now sworn to avoid anything from 'the writer that gave you Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe, and The Notebook'.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 AM

Just watched this movie. Meh. I like slow movies, but this movie puts new meaning to the word slow. Maybe it's just me but I would fire the writer. The house with the blue roof on the beach looked great though in HD on my 50 inch plasma.