No reviews/interest in PASSCHENDAELE blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Default No reviews/interest in PASSCHENDAELE blu-ray?

Hey folks,

Passchendaele, a World War I movie focusing on Canadians in the war, just came out on blu-ray yesterday. I did a blind-buy at www.chcanada.com (after taxes and shipping it came to $17.90) as I missed it at theatres.

Looking all over the net...I'm not finding ANY reviews. Was this blu-ray not released in the US...or is there no interest in the film state-side? Myself, I was an extra in the WWI segment of Legends Of The Fall (yep...had a couple scenes 'deleted' with Brad Pitt and Henry Thomas in the trenches) and am very interested to see a similar depiction of this war in high def.

p.s. I guess that brings up ANOTHER question... when the heck is Legends of the Fall coming out on blu-ray???? (so I can watch those deleted scenes I'm in... in something better than good ol' DVD fuzzy-vision!!!)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Former Member

it was not released state side. that's why there's no real coverage on it. a reviewer needs to get their hands on it first.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I saw Passchendaele in theatres and it is a good movie, However one of the main actors in it is absolutely awful, which hurt the film a little for me, Paul gross however is terrific and the movie is filmed well. I just ordered it from CHcanada, It is definetly worth owning, The war scenes are very graphic and a lot more violent than I thought it was going to be. This kind of violence i find a lot more disturbing than say Punisher, Esp.
Spoiler
when Paul grosses entire platoon get's torn apart by a gatlin gun, and a young German boy surrenders after defeat, yet Gross drives his bayonet through kids head. etc..

Here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WYH...eature=related
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM

I have tons of books on Passchendaele, might have to look into this.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 AM

Bought mine today at London Drugs $3 cheaper than Best Buy and Future Shop($29).
Great movie , too bad very few non Canadians will ever get see it.
My only beef is too much running time for the fictitious love story and not enough of the War , but with a modest budget of only $20 million very enjoyable
The video transfer is flawless and the DTS-MA 5.1 will have you diving for a shell hole full of muddy water
The 43 minute "making of featurete" is pretty good but Its too bad they didn't come up with more historical based extra features.
For those that do get this one , watch the end credits as they contain archival film of the real Men of the Canadian Corps !!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks Old Bones... I think we can count your comments as the first official review!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM

hows the pq? which subtitles are included? thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 PM

PQ and AQ are 5 out of 5
Sound track is in both English or French and subs are English or French also.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Blind bought this one just yesterday. This movie was just OKAY at best. I think Paul Gross had too much too handle, seeing as he starred, wrote, and directed the whole thing. The movie really seemed like a direct-to-video American movie. I thought some of the parts in the battle scenes were sorta hard to follow, the music was a bit hokey time to time, the acting throughout was so-so, there was an unusual amount of unnecessary gore, but overall the movie just seemed really cliched from start to finish. I'll probably watch it again, but I do believe that this movie could have turned out a lot better if it was handled a bit more properly. I will say though that most of the movie looked pretty authentic; it was well done. I'd probably give it around a 2.5 outta 5. Sorry fellow Canadians, I just thought this could've been a better movie (especially with the budget that was given).

Video quality was pretty good. Not absolutely perfect, but the end result was still really nice. Some scenes looked a bit on the soft side from time-to-time, but everything else looked relatively nice. Depth and detail were pretty good most of the time, blacks and whites were good, and colours were richly solid. I'd give it a 4 outta 5.

Audio quality was superb. Those battle scenes were VERY nicely done. Surround use and bass held up very well during these sequences. I'd give the audio overall a 4.5 outta 5.

Specs: Video--1080p, 2.35:1 (special features are also in 1080p and 16 x 9)
Audio--English AND French 5.1 DTS HD-MA tracks; also 5.1 dolby digital tracks
too (special features in 5.1 dolby digital)
Subtitled in both english and french
50 GB dual layer disc
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 PM

DVDBeaver Review