'Being There' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Default 'Being There' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Being There.' He says the movie is considered a classic, but it doesn't do much for him. This Blu-ray doesn't hit it out of the park. Video and audio are so-so. Bonus features are slight. Worth a look, but not an automatic purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1859/beingthere.html
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
If you want the lossless Dolby TrueHD option, you have to open the pop-up menus while the movie plays. Because the disc isn't Java-enabled, the menus don't work when the movie is paused. Therefore, you must change the audio during the opening scene and then skip back to restart it over again when you're ready. What a pointless nuisance.
On Warner titles I can switch to TrueHD in about 2 seconds; hardly enough time to miss anything from the movie....
Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

I remember watching this movie a long long time ago. So long ago my fragile mind didnt really comprehend the masturbation scene haha. But I do remember it sadly enough.

Might rent it again sometime, my mom loves it.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrooks1 View Post
On Warner titles I can switch to TrueHD in about 2 seconds; hardly enough time to miss anything from the movie....
Doesn't change the fact that you should be able to still do it while the movies paused! Is this truly a limit of Java, or is WB just bad implementers of it? If it truly is Java, how can it not do something HDi could? I've been annoyed by this as well, even if it you can switch to TrueHD in 2 seconds - it's still a nuisance and I whole-heatedly agree with Josh on this one.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Why would I need to pause a movie for a 2 second switch to TrueHD? Oh damn I missed that movie studio logo animation!! SHUCKS!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

It's not really the time, more so annoying that the films start with out menus, so it should be set automatically on TrueHD, not having to be adjusted. The issue is that they should have it start as TrueHD and not Dolby Digital.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
It's not really the time, more so annoying that the films start with out menus, so it should be set automatically on TrueHD, not having to be adjusted. The issue is that they should have it start as TrueHD and not Dolby Digital.
Yes, I find that annoying, but on my BD35 all I have to do is hit the audio button on my remote and toggle to TrueHD while the opening logo is on the screen (no need to pause).

As for the DNR? That really sucks. And I know that Josh is not a DNR Nazi (you know who you are) so for him to say it was bad, really has me worried. I so wanted to buy this title, and I am probably going to pass now and just rent.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Yes, I find that annoying, but on my BD35 all I have to do is hit the audio button on my remote and toggle to TrueHD while the opening logo is on the screen (no need to pause).

As for the DNR? That really sucks. And I know that Josh is not a DNR Nazi (you know who you are) so for him to say it was bad, really has me worried. I so wanted to buy this title, and I am probably going to pass now and just rent.
Sounds like I may need to find myself a BD35 if I can! And I agree with Spartan's points as well. It annoys me most when it occurs on TV-seasons.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklepr View Post
Doesn't change the fact that you should be able to still do it while the movies paused! Is this truly a limit of Java, or is WB just bad implementers of it? If it truly is Java, how can it not do something HDi could?
It's actually the opposite. Discs that are Java-enabled allow you to pull up the menu while the movie's paused. Discs that aren't Java enabled can't. Being There is not Java-enabled.

You can usually tell the difference between Java and non-Java discs by how long they take to load. Non-Java discs load really fast. Java discs are slower, and may bring up a "Loading" icon.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's actually the opposite. Discs that are Java-enabled allow you to pull up the menu while the movie's paused. Discs that aren't Java enabled can't. Being There is not Java-enabled.
Is this normal for Warner? Because either my memory is horribly slipshod or I've never had a problem bringing up the menu while the the movie is paused. Or maybe I'm just confusing it with WB's HD DVD releases.

I have to admit I'm curious to see what Warner's Blu-ray promo looks like. After a year or two where they hyped HD DVD on every disc but didn't do squat for Blu-ray that I ever saw, I'm wondering how much of it is just copied over.

I'm really disappointed to hear that the picture has been so badly compressed. I know WB's usual light coating of DNR for easy compression is a big complaint for a lot of people, but I can't think of a release of theirs that looked anywhere as bad as this sounds to be. They're usually great with older releases! I wonder what happened.