Where to buy blu-rays in New York City? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Where to buy blu-rays in New York City?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm asking for some advice on where to buy blu-rays in New York? I'm coming over in March from the UK, by which time I'll have a long wish-list!

Anyway, i'm trying to work out the cheapest way to get a lot of films. Buying from the UK has become expensive - using amazon.com, for example, the shipping to the UK is high and the falling exchange rate makes just two blus in the same parcel a customs risk....let alone a lot!

So - should I look at amazon shipping to my hotel? Or is there anywhere in New York which offers good prices.

Thanks in advance
Tony
Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDA View Post
...So - should I look at amazon shipping to my hotel? Or is there anywhere in New York which offers good prices.
Most of the big outlets are more expensive than Amazon. You
might find a sale or two if you look hard enough. Anyway you
are subject to a Sales Tax of 8.375%. This is also charged
on Amazon orders to New York City on the disc as well as
shipping and handling.

What makes you think you won't have to declare purchases
when you re-enter the UK?

Save your money and use it to see New York. Dinner,
theater, nightlife and etc. Things you can't import to the
UK at any price. At least that is what I do when I visit
the UK.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Disc o Rama in the village is good. They usually have 3 for $60 and then I've gotten 10% off on top of that.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the responses guys - appreciated.

Ben - don't worry, am planning on doing lots of seeing! I was trying to decide whether it was worth importing a few things now, or waiting until I'm over there. May just get that Bourne set now...

Digitalfreak - Thanks for that. Missed Discorama last time I was in NYC and I was staying about five block away!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Digitalfreak - Thanks for that. Missed Discorama last time I was in NYC and I was staying about five block away!
There's one in Union Square and one on 8th street. I think that's it at this point. If you're looking for stores that break street date, that's a different story. They'll be much more expensive.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Not really - although I'm flying back to the UK at 8am on March 10th, which is the day Let The Right One In and Milk are due out. I can't see anyone in the airport having them for sale at that time in the morning, so may have a look the day before just in case! when you say more expensive, is that over the RRP?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Well if you want the ones that break street date, try in the city on 8th ave. between 40th st all the way up to around 50th. But you will pay top price!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Not really - although I'm flying back to the UK at 8am on March 10th, which is the day Let The Right One In and Milk are due out. I can't see anyone in the airport having them for sale at that time in the morning, so may have a look the day before just in case! when you say more expensive, is that over the RRP?
Well, you could always go to Virgin Megastore at midnight. They always put out releases then.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Really? That will do! Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Really? That will do! Thanks.
You can also go to Kim's in the village on St. Mark's. They put out new releases early as well and have lots of used discs.