Watchmen: Tales From The Black Freighter Blu March 24th! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Watchmen: Tales From The Black Freighter Blu March 24th!

Looks like March 24th is the release for the DVD and Blu releases of the companion piece to Watchmen, Tales From The Black Freighter. You can read details and see the cover art at the link below!

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/013009...ighter-dvd.php
Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM

I will def own this...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM

I wish this came out the same day as the motion comic. It seems a bit risky to be releasing a companion piece weeks after the movie has been out.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Whoa, Warner is really pulling no punches with the Watchmen franchise... releasing everything they can...

The last time I saw them overflow the media with releases during a movie's theatrical run was with Matrix Reloaded, which spawned a videogame, a collection of short animes and even a Samsung cellphone.

They're probably thinking something in the lines of "this 'comic book movies' are where the money's at!! Flood the market with related products!" or something.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
Whoa, Warner is really pulling no punches with the Watchmen franchise... releasing everything they can...

The last time I saw them overflow the media with releases during a movie's theatrical run was with Matrix Reloaded, which spawned a videogame, a collection of short animes and even a Samsung cellphone.

They're probably thinking something in the lines of "this 'comic book movies' are where the money's at!! Flood the market with related products!" or something.
cant say anything for the motion comic dvd, but this blu/dvd and releasing it around when the regular movie hits theaters was apparently part of the pitch to the studio when it was clear the studio wouldnt let them film it the way they wanted and have it as part of the movie. guess snyder wanted to shoot this over stylized ala 300, but would have raised the budget 20 mil so the studio compromised and said they could do it animated and then edited it into the film for a a directors cut. so this one comes out now, regular movie sometime in july supposedly then directors cut late in the year.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM

This is supposed to be incorperated into the move apon it's home video release, so I'd just wait for that, or at the most rent it.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM

I thought I'd have the strength to wait until this was edited back into a director's cut, but these extras look way too good for me to wait half a year. I'm in!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 PM

I'm kind of dreading this movie. I always feel this way when a favorite book is about to be made into a movie though.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 AM

Default Black Freighter as stand alone-SPOILER ALERT

Black Freighter as a stand alone doesn't work for me (anymore than any cheesy pirate story would work for me as a separate story). However, the story has a number of specific tasks in the Watchmen storyline.
  1. The protagonists POV monologue ratchets the tension in the story.
  2. The growing dread mirrors the advancing Soviet conflict that accelerates after Doc's departure.
  3. The comic underpins the relationship between the newspaper stand owner and the young, Black reader (for a dramatic Issue 12 payoff).
  4. It introduces the reader to the writing style of the author that Veidt used to program the mental squid bomb images.
  5. Freighter's twist amplifies the tough choice that Rorschach, Dreiberg, Doc and Veidt face in Issue 12.
  6. And the protagonists increasingly twisted, albeit internally "justified" actions mirror Veidt's own dark motivations.

The completist in me is glad that Snyder cared enough to produce the stuff, but the Watchmen fan in me is glad that the motion comics maintain the comic within a comic structure that Moore intended.

Frankly, anything more than a motion comic treatment WEAKENS the idea of the Black Freighter story. The motion comics handle this conceit by amping up the newsprint halftone artifacts (which are absent in the Watchmen storyline).

I'll wait for the main disc (where hopefully the story is inserted in the Director's Cut) to see how Snyder handles it.