Film Grain/Digital noise etc. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM

Default Film Grain/Digital noise etc.

I know that people take some pretty hard stances on how the feel about this!

About wanting to see the grain & dont want the movie cleaned up!
I know some people dont want any digital noise in a picture, while others it dosent bother them.
(i can see the difference of something with alot of DNR, Rambo-First blood)

I guess i ask, because i can handle grain if it isnt ALOT. I cannot handle a lot of Digital noise!! That just really ticks me off. Im fine if theres a 1 or 2 small scenes in a movie with DN (Rambo-FB, The Road Warrior) but when there is Scene after scene, after scene it just gets me fired up (the Lost Boys)

I guess with a $3,000.00 TV and blu-ray, i get mad if the studio dosent take the time to really re-master a movie(i guess this is why im waiting for old movies to be re-released or re-re-released before i buy them!!

What are your thoughts???
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Noise =
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfear79 View Post
Noise =
hahah i agree I get angry inside!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 PM

there's already been countless threads about this and there was a giant one back around christmas time so this thread is completely unnecessary, just check out the one a few months ago and you'll have plenty of opinions there.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:42 PM

I guess the obvious question is what exactly "really re-master" is supposed to mean.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Salad View Post
I guess i ask, because i can handle grain if it isnt ALOT. I cannot handle a lot of Digital noise!! That just really ticks me off. Im fine if theres a 1 or 2 small scenes in a movie with DN (Rambo-FB, The Road Warrior) but when there is Scene after scene, after scene it just gets me fired up (the Lost Boys)
I do not think that term means what you think it means.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 PM

Film grain and digital noise are not the same thing.

Digital noise is an artifact added to a video image by poor mastering or encoding. It is not part of that original image.

Film grain is part of the image. In fact, it is the image. Film stock is made of grain particles. When exposed to light, those particles clump together into recognizable patterns. The grain is always there. Without it, you wouldn't have an image.

Depending on the film stock used and the nature of the image being photographed, sometimes the underlying grain structure is more visible than others (e.g. grain tends to be more pronounced in low light situations).

Film grain is akin to the brush strokes in a painting. It gives the image texture. When you go to a museum, would you rather see the real Mona Lisa, or a glossed over Xerox copy of it?

Grain and noise are not the same thing. They have different textures. Grain is organic. Noise is harsh, electronic, and usually blocky.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Film grain and digital noise are not the same thing.

Digital noise is an artifact added to a video image by poor mastering or encoding. It is not part of that original image.

Film grain is part of the image. In fact, it is the image. Film stock is made of grain particles. When exposed to light, those particles clump together into recognizable patterns. The grain is always there. Without it, you wouldn't have an image.

Depending on the film stock used and the nature of the image being photographed, sometimes the underlying grain structure is more visible than others (e.g. grain tends to be more pronounced in low light situations).

Film grain is akin to the brush strokes in a painting. It gives the image texture. When you go to a museum, would you rather see the real Mona Lisa, or a glossed over Xerox copy of it?

Grain and noise are not the same thing. They have different textures. Grain is organic. Noise is harsh, electronic, and usually blocky.
You wouldn't believe....actually you probably would believe how hard it is to describe what you just did to people. *sigh*