'Pretty Woman' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 AM

Default 'Pretty Woman' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Pretty Woman.' He says the movie is aging well as it approaches its 20th anniversary. This Blu-ray has a problematic transfer and just adequate sound, but the movie, and this upgrade from the DVD still make it worth a look and worthy of fans' attention.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1945/prettywoman.html
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 AM

Sweet getting Pineapple Express then!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 AM

I'll still get this one. It's one of my favorites.

Bluray.com gave it a 4 AQ & 4 PQ.

I guess it's what you're expecting going into the viewing.

If you're expecting an I, Robot experience you'll probably give it a 3/3.

If you're looking at the age of the movie & the way it was filmed you'll probably give it a 4/4.

I'll be glad to finally replace my DVD copy.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:54 AM

It's one of my favorite movies of all time, so any improvement over the DVD is worth it to me. I can't wait!!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 PM

love this film.
sounds like it looks like......
Pretty Woman on film.
I'll be picking it up for sure.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Comparing this film to Sex and the City is both sexist and makes the reviewer seem "special." The similarities between Pretty Woman and Sex and the City pretty much begin and end with both movies having a female lead. In Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts plays a hooker who desperately wants (and needs) to be rescued from her poor choices by prince charming. The movie is sweet and endearing, but it's very much a fairy tale.

In Sex and the City, Sarah Jessica Parker plays a writer who searches for love while experiencing the highs and lows of relationships. In no way does her character want or need to be rescued - she merely wants to be loved. Sex and the City is far more realistic. It tell the story a woman whose life is good because of the choices she's made, not because of the opportunities and luxuries a man has provided her with.

Sorry to say it, but Sex and the City has made the need for romantic comedies like Pretty Woman almost obsolete. Today's female wants to be loved and celebrated, not saved by a man and given a hand out. This review would have been a great one if not for the Sex and the City comment. It'd be like me writing a review for Rambo and claiming that people will be watching it long after the Bourne films have run their course.

One has nothing to do with the other.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM

I appreciate your comment and its valid points. I guess I should have clarified in my review that I was referring to 'Sex and the City' the movie, not the TV series. While I have great respect for the TV series, I don't feel the movie did it justice. And as a result, I don't believe the movie will have anywhere near the longevity of the TV series. In 20 years time, I don't think the 'Sex and the City' movie will be considered a classic, which is how many already regard 'Pretty Woman.' That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsLikePink View Post
Comparing this film to Sex and the City is both sexist and makes the reviewer seem "special." The similarities between Pretty Woman and Sex and the City pretty much begin and end with both movies having a female lead. In Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts plays a hooker who desperately wants (and needs) to be rescued from her poor choices by prince charming. The movie is sweet and endearing, but it's very much a fairy tale.

In Sex and the City, Sarah Jessica Parker plays a writer who searches for love while experiencing the highs and lows of relationships. In no way does her character want or need to be rescued - she merely wants to be loved. Sex and the City is far more realistic. It tell the story a woman whose life is good because of the choices she's made, not because of the opportunities and luxuries a man has provided her with.

Sorry to say it, but Sex and the City has made the need for romantic comedies like Pretty Woman almost obsolete. Today's female wants to be loved and celebrated, not saved by a man and given a hand out. This review would have been a great one if not for the Sex and the City comment. It'd be like me writing a review for Rambo and claiming that people will be watching it long after the Bourne films have run their course.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Celebrated, huh. Oh my....

I only watched this movie once, and not entirely by my free will I might add, but I don't recall Julia getting any 'handouts'. She entered into a business deal which developed into something more. And it seems to me she 'rescued' Dick much more than he saved her. She showed him that there's more to life than business deals and money and she taught him how to enjoy life which is much more than he ever did for her.

I think she's much more self-assured and confident than those shallow whiny fashion-whores in 'Sex and the City', but that's just me I guess. No offense intended, I know you're a fan of SatC and you know I hate it.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Celebrated, huh. Oh my....

I only watched this movie once, and not entirely by my free will I might add, but I don't recall Julia getting any 'handouts'. She entered into a business deal which developed into something more.

I think she's much more self-assured and confident than those shallow whiny fashion-whores in 'Sex and the City', but that's just me I guess. No offense intended, I know you're a fan of SatC and you know I hate it.
She entered into a business deal??? She was a hooker!! lol He hired a hooker to have sex with him around the clock while in town for business. He had every intention of dressing her up to show her off and then disposing of her when her services were no longer needed. The only thing that kept him from doing this was the fact that he fell in love with her. What if he hadn't fallen in love with her? She'd be out on the street corners doing what she did best - spreading her legs for money. And are we honestly supposed to believe that this was the first time he'd ever done anything like this? Highly unlikely! You know, I love this movie as much as the next girl, but the way fans have glamorized it over the years is unbelievable! I'd much rather be a fashion-whore than an actual whore, and in my opinion, selling your body for money makes someone a whore. It certainly does not make them a businesswoman!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Former Member

(steering clear from this thread. carrie's gonna rip my head off if i disagree w/ her lol)

kidding. i agree w/ ya, SLP. fully.