'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Default 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona.' He say's it better-than-average latter day Woody Allen. This Blu-ray has very nice video, Woody's typically limited audio, and no extras. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1890...barcelona.html
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Former Member

Josh broke my Woody Allen golden rule: thou shall not bash Hollywood Ending, the best film from Allen's spurt with Dreamworks.

Even still, one day I'll find time to sit down to VCB. Haven't been in the mood for an Allen film lately, as much of a fan of his work that I am, I have to be in the right mindset going in.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM

I've never seen a Woody Allen film. This might be the first. IDK.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 AM

The Dreamworks movies were SLIM pickings. My favorite Woody Allen films of the past roughly fifteen years would be:

Manhattan Murder Mystery
Everyone Says I Love You (so good)
Celebrity
and
Sweet and Lowdown (this one gets better with every viewing)

Wish I had the pic I took of him on Madison Avenue years ago so I could pop it up on here.

If you've never seen a Woody Allen film, you've gotta start with Annie Hall, then follow it with Hannah and Her Sisters. VCB is a whole different ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Josh broke my Woody Allen golden rule: thou shall not bash Hollywood Ending, the best film from Allen's spurt with Dreamworks.

Even still, one day I'll find time to sit down to VCB. Haven't been in the mood for an Allen film lately, as much of a fan of his work that I am, I have to be in the right mindset going in.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Former Member

i started into the game late w/ match point, went forward, then backwards. haven't gotten to them ALL, as a few are a real bitch to get on dvd due to being out of print and far too expensive for what they are.

I think Deconstructing Harry was one of his best in the last 15. Dreamworks era was slim, i agree, with the 4 titles that are commonly found in the boxset (Anything, Jade Scorpion, Small Time, and Hollywood), and Hollywood Ending outshines the lot by a long shot. I'm one of the few who enjoyed Scoop, there, I said it. Everyone I know who's seen it hates it, I can never figure it out.

my least favorite Allen film, beyond Small Time Crooks, has to be Everything You Wanted.....30 more words. just couldn't get into it.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 AM

There are two I've never been able to finish, and I'm a big time fan:

Interiors and Everything You Always Wanted.....

I hope you've seen Broadway Danny Rose!

Are the sets that hard to come by? I got them all years ago I guess. Another Woman, September, Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, they're all great.

The thing with Woody Allen films is that every one of them is a bit more interesting when you see it a second time. Well, maybe not Anything Else.

I have a copy of Scoop sitting here on my shelf.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Former Member

BDR is a great, great one. very fun mafia movie.

most do get better with each viewing. I've seen Anything Else a few times, I can say it upsets me, just due to the actions of Ricci's character, they're just too, to be blunt, fucked up...not a fan of Biggs' acting, trying to be a young Allen in that film, but it's one I CAN rewatch at times. I have NO desire to rewatch Small Time Crooks. EVER.

The sets are/were easy to get. right now there are quite a few individuals, though, that aren't easy.

Deconstructing Harry, What's Up Tiger Lily, Mighty Aphrodite are tough to find Allen directorials, with Play it Again Sam and the Front acting roles (non directorial) being hard to find as well
Old 01-26-2009, 01:09 AM

Woody is my favorite writer/director.

I loved this movie and have pre-ordered the movie at best buy.

Crimes & Misdemeanors is probably my favorite Woody movie. It's always changing and depends on a set of five or so and whatever im watching at the moment. I love all of his films in one way or another. I own them all and will still re-buy any that come out on BD. I will always be up for any Woody discussion. Ask me and we'll talk about anything.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 AM

I really enjoyed VCB, but I go the typical route for my favorite Allen movie, which is Manhattan. It is a love letter to the city I love, I can't help it.

I saw the Woodman directing Larry David this summer in Bryant Park during my lunch break. I wish I had had a camera with me so I could have gotten decent shots other than the too far away shots I got with my cell phone.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I've never seen a Woody Allen film. This might be the first. IDK.
I can't remember ever seeing one either.........might have to check this one out