Is the original OOP Sony ROBOCOP blu-ray worth anything significant? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Is the original OOP Sony ROBOCOP blu-ray worth anything significant?

I came across a copy of Sony's pulled-before-streeting blu-ray release of ROBOCOP, which features different packaging and a number of supplements (making-of doc, deleted scenes, commentary) that never made it to Fox's bare-bones release. Its transfer on the other hand is inferior to the Fox one. I'm thinking about putting it up on Ebay to see what happens. Worthwhile or a waste of time?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Maybe $30-$40.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Maybe $30-$40.
Not if they read Josh Zyber's review over on DVD Talk, which I've always enjoyed for a good chuckle - it has to be the most Smackdown review I've ever read.

Quote:
Holy crap in a can, this disc looks horrible! I've written a couple of previous Blu-ray reviews where I'd called certain discs the worst High Definition image I'd ever seen, thinking HD couldn't possibly get any worse, but here Sony just keeps lowering the bar for the format. The RoboCop Blu-ray is U-G-L-Y . . . . . No movie is supposed to look like this.

Sadly, the awful color transfer is just the beginning. The Blu-ray authoring for RoboCop is a compression nightmare. I almost cannot believe how incompetent the work done here is. This is by far the worst digital compression I've ever seen on any High Definition format, and in fact it's been years since I've seen even a regular DVD this bad. . . . . The people responsible for it should hang their heads in shame and never work in the industry again.

But then again . . . . it does sound like one of a kind (thankfully).
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM

MGM should be raked over the coals for messing up robocop. First they put this disc out which got ridiculed so much they pulled it and issued a second one almost as bad (with the brown color timing, yech). Despicable.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 PM

some collector will always want something rare like this, but the fact that it looks horrible definitely lowers the value considerably imo.
ebay away.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Former Member

i think it'd be a neat item for the impulsive. like any user with over 500 blu's. this is one of the rarest blu's out there. shit or no, it's still amazingly difficult to ever find.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Yeah, I'd like to watch this Blu-ray, just to see how terrible the transfer is.

Probably not so much to want to buy it, but you know.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

he posted it on ebay I can see.

Link
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM

The MGM Robocop transfer got a bad rap IMO. Not demo-worthy by any means, but a solid transfer of an older effects heavy film.

This film is a classic that is more relevant today, it deserves the same treatment Blade Runner got.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post
The MGM Robocop transfer got a bad rap IMO. Not demo-worthy by any means, but a solid transfer of an older effects heavy film.

This film is a classic that is more relevant today, it deserves the same treatment Blade Runner got.
RoboCop is limited in just how good it can look due to the way it was shot, true.

However, the Blu-ray has zero extras (when there are numerous on the multitude of DVD re-releases), old MPEG-2 encoding on a Single Layer - which leads to poor compression in many areas, new color timing that flattens out depth and gives people weird skintones..... in short, it could look a lot better.

The only thing surprisingly decent about MGMs blu-ray is the Master Audio track.

The disc needs to be reissued a la The 5th Element. A new Master needs to be struck to correct the color timing issues and get a little TLC/restoration work, Robo needs a BD-50 (for the many extras) and new AVC/MPEG-4 encoding.