Favorite/Least Favorite Studios? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Favorite/Least Favorite Studios?

Not all Blu-Ray discs are created equal, and certain studios have already established a reputation for good or bad discs. So who are your favorite and least favorite studio(s) that release movies on Blu-Ray?

My favorites would have to be Lionsgate and New Line/Dimension, because they provide 7.1 HD audio tracks on almost all of their releases, and the PQ is usual just as good as the audio.

My least favorites are WB (lazy transfers, hardly used HD audio), MGM (high prices and shitty transfers), and Sony and Fox (mostly because of their prices, the DNR doesn't bother me in the Fox movies like it does so many other people).
Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Paramount and Universal. Nothing else comes close. Their consistency of top-tier transfer and audio on new releases are the best. Disney doesn't release many titles and I don't buy much from them, so I don't count 'em.

As for least favorite, I gotta agree with you on Warner. Some of their titles have horrible transfer and the lack of lossless audio is unforgivable. Even the Dark Knight transfer could've been done better if a different studio handled it.

Last edited by Grimshaw23; 01-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:05 PM

I'm guessing those are your favorites? I like them both too, I just wish their MSRPs were lower (Paramount movies tend to cost a little more than Universal). I can understand how some people might not like how Uni is handling their catalog movies on Blu-Ray (EE and DNR), espeically when the HD-DVDs weren't like that.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Favorite: Sony (pretty consistent PQ/AQ)
Least Favorite: Warner (lack of lossless audio on many discs)

I've edited this to add that Fox/MGM are a close second behind Warner. The majority of their catalog releases look like utter crap. It's sad that they have the gall to charge more than the other studios for that rubbish. If they're going to continue to put out discs like that then they ought to charge appropriately, $9.99 MSRP.

Last edited by -zombie-; 01-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Disney is my favorite, because they are typically excellent though they don't release much.
Warner is my favorite when it comes to the bredth of titles, though their quality varies widely.
I guess my least favorite would be FOX/MGM, because they consistently delay titles, overcharge for evrything, and they are inconsistent in video quality and supplementary material porting over from old DVD's.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 PM

I like Lionsgate (7.1 audio), Disney/BV (all-around good-quality releases) and Universal (top notch PQ/AQ). I've liked New Line since the DVD days but they've now been fully absorbed by Warner. Paramount is okay but they've been a little heavy with the DNR/EE. My least favourite studios are Fox/MGM (high prices, shitty catalog transfers), Warner (lots of lossy audio), and Sony (stop canceling so many releases!).
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Former Member

every studio has a strength, but a weakness. i look at it that way. there is NO studio that does everything wrong, and no studio that is perfect.

cop out? maybe
Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
every studio has a strength, but a weakness. i look at it that way. there is NO studio that does everything wrong, and no studio that is perfect.
Oh so very true.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM

I enjoyed the releases from Universal.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 AM

favorite: Universal( i like there library of titles plus have great PQ, top notch audio and u-control)
Disney(Best transfers on new and classic movies, awesome extras)
least favorite: Warner(no menu, lossy audio and 16 bit true HD! lack of HD exclusive features)
FOX & MGM(High prices for catalog titles, lack of features and HD exclusives)