The original Day the Earth Stood Still: Will it "hold up"? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Default The original Day the Earth Stood Still: Will it "hold up"?

OK so Im dying to watch the original 1950's Day the Earth Stood Still but I have a bad feeling that it might just seem completely silly, dorky, outdated, or any combination of thereof. I want to like it, but like I said, I dont want to bother if Im just gonna shut it off after 20 minutes because the cheese is pouring out of my TV.

So... does it hold up or not? I know the movie isnt big on action scenes and thats probably a good thing. But, is it worth watching or do I just wait for the remake with Neo in it?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I refuse to see the remake until it hits BD, then, only as a rental.

I blind bought the original, and fucking LOVE IT!!!!!!

The acting is top notch, and the score is haunting.

If you're having doubts, give it a rent. I have ZERO regrets on buying it.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
OK so Im dying to watch the original 1950's Day the Earth Stood Still but I have a bad feeling that it might just seem completely silly, dorky, outdated, or any combination of thereof. I want to like it, but like I said, I dont want to bother if Im just gonna shut it off after 20 minutes because the cheese is pouring out of my TV.

So... does it hold up or not? I know the movie isnt big on action scenes and thats probably a good thing. But, is it worth watching or do I just wait for the remake with Neo in it?

Thanks!
Seriously? It's a good movie. I don't know what your tastes are but if you don't care for older movies you won't care for this.

Don't watch it for audio or video.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
Seriously? It's a good movie. I don't know what your tastes are but if you don't care for older movies you won't care for this.

Don't watch it for audio or video.
Oh I like some older movies...the ones that seem to hold up and still "do their thing". Its the ones that do not hold up that worry me.

I'll probably give it a rent.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

there is really very little special effects. The alien is a human. So no worries there. It is a cold war movie though so the timing might be a bit off or the message may not resonate as much.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Former Member

.....this is a timeless freaking movie.

the blu-ray is absolutely astonishing in the amount of extras in it, many of which are great quality/awesome.

one of my faves. it has infinite replay value in my books, and no focus on special effects, so it doesn't look cheezy
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
.....this is a timeless freaking movie.

the blu-ray is absolutely astonishing in the amount of extras in it, many of which are great quality/awesome.

one of my faves. it has infinite replay value in my books, and no focus on special effects, so it doesn't look cheezy
Agreed, but there will be those who just don't get it or enjoy it.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM

To directly answer the OP's question: it holds up a hell of a lot better today (almost 58 years later) than the two-week-old remake.

You have to approach it as a well-executed message movie with science fiction elements rather than an effects-laden sci-fi film.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
Agreed, but there will be those who just don't get it or enjoy it.
there's a name for those kinds of people with that opinion lol