'X-Files: Fight the Future' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Default 'X-Files: Fight the Future' - High-Def Digest Review

'X-Files: Fight the Future' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Fight the Future.' While he says the film isn't perfect, it did do a good job bringing 'The X-Files' into the world of feature films. This Blu-ray has disappointing video, pretty good audio, and some decent extras. Recommended for fans, newcomers may want to rent it first.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1624...thefuture.html
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM

I don't think the picture looks "awful" by any stretch. The sound does bump, and keeps you focused.

I did notice, I don't know if the studio tinkered with, "enhanced visual effects". In the very begininng when the boy falls into the cave--the oil on his face, I don't remember those particular shades of color on him. The other scene is when the bomb explodes in front of the agen in the building--as he is blown to bits, that scene looks way smoother than the "blob" that was there before.

IMO
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM

wow the first ever sunday reviewed movie by the hdd team i believe.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM

I disagree with the PQ rating, I won't say it's top notch demo material but it's very pleasing for sure. It'd be nice if it was a bit less processed, but I'd give this at least 4*.

Besides that, this film was great! It really reminded me of why I loved the x-files series. It really makes me long for the bluray release of the entire series.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 PM

No, the PQ at 3 is pretty good. Personally I'd go 3.5, but what he describes is 100% accurate.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
It really makes me long for the bluray release of the entire series.
Most likely won't happen. Shot on film but edited and mastered on SD videotape.

Entire series would need to be re-editied, re-rendered effects-wise and entirely redone to be ready for HD. This of course would all hinge on the fact that the original raw negatives still exist.... which I doubt.

As for the view.... about what I expected. FtF was never a tour-de-force video-wise..... always gritty, grainy and dark. And I didn't really expect the post-processing (EE, etc) to be entirely eradicated. From what I gather, while certainly not great, the BD completely destroys the piece of shit DVD (both of them).
Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM

^^^
It'll happen eventually, this is the same logic used for star trek yet re-mastering work with CG has already happend there. I don't think that fox (like paramount) is giong to let some SD post production get in the way of a potential (likely) gold mine.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
^^^
It'll happen eventually, this is the same logic used for star trek yet re-mastering work with CG has already happend there. I don't think that fox (like paramount) is giong to let some SD post production get in the way of a potential (likely) gold mine.
TOS remastering = remastering of tangible film elements that are known to exist.

X-Files and TNG = master tapes that may or may not have a film negative to back up them up.

This kind of work has never been redone.... if/when a TV series that was effects heavy and mastered, edited on NTSC video gets released we'll see if it works out. As of now, and for the forseeable feature, the cost is just too great.

If the costs and amount of time/labor wasn't so monumental HD remastering would have already begun for HDTV syndication (like Seinfeld). The costs/labor do not seem profitable at the moment - hence FOX and Paramount have not taken the time.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 PM

I think it looks fantastic. Not every movie needs to have popping bright colors and high contrast, this transfer reminds me of how it looked in the theater. In my opinion the movies that are dark and muddied to begin with are the ones that benefit the most from a Blu-ray release, not to mention that upscaling does nothing for them.

As far as the show on BD, I wouldn't mind if they cleaned up the video and released it in high-bitrate SD (like 5-10 mbps AVC) that would look a lot better than the DVD releases, and they could fit 14+ episodes on a disc. Having 2 discs per season instead of 7 plus the quality increase and perhaps a new 5.1 sound mix would be plenty of incentive for me to double-dip.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM

The above would be acceptable providing they ensure proper scaling... Didn't they eventually release WS versions? If so that's what I want lol. Still, I think it's completely silly to say "yeah nope sorry... none of these shows edited in 480i will ever make it to bluray"... I've already had films *shot* on VT make it to bluray for crying out loud!