1.37:1 aspect ratio, what does that mean ? A square ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Banned

Default 1.37:1 aspect ratio, what does that mean ? A square ?

So I was thinking of purchasing justice league season 1 for bluray, but I noticed people complaining of it being 1.33:1 aspect ratio, does that mean its like a square ? Or Is it still widescreen, like all the other bluray movies ? Thanks .
Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 AM

1:33 is the shape of a standard TV screen. It will have vertical black bars on both sides. Not exactly a square. 1:1 would be a square.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

ewww black bars on both sizes *cry* I wanted this one ... but oh well .
Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

the complaints about it being 1:33:1 have to do with the fact that it was animated in 1:78:1 the same aspect ratio as the later seasons.

the 1:78:1 versions are the producer perferd versions of the first season, inspite of that wb has released both the standard dvd and the blurays in the cropped version. citing on the box that its presented as it was in its original televison airings.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM

i hope you are being sarcastic as there are quite a few tv shows and movies that were shot or composed to be seen in 1:33:1 for there original release.

are you feeling the same way about the episodes of batman tas or superman tas that are on the batman gotham knight and superman doomsday blurays..

or how about when pinochio is released next year or casablanca.

i prey that the studios dont decide to start making full screen versions of movies or shows shot in the academy aspect ratio 1:33:1 now that widescreen tvs are becoming the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyaLovesBlu View Post
ewww black bars on both sizes *cry* I wanted this one ... but oh well .
Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM

^^^^ Justice League is a unique release though as it was animated @ 1.33. The widescreen versions of season one are actually the ones that are cropped (and not OAR).

Season 2 and on are true widescreen and were actually animated for the 1.78 ratio.

This release was somewhat of a crap-shoot. For every person that is annoyed that they released this in 4X3, their would be just as many complaining if it had been cropped for widescreen.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
^^^^ Justice League is a unique release though as it was animated @ 1.33. The widescreen versions of season one are actually the ones that are cropped (and not OAR).

Season 2 and on are true widescreen and were actually animated for the 1.78 ratio.

This release was somewhat of a crap-shoot. For every person that is annoyed that they released this in 4X3, their would be just as many complaining if it had been cropped for widescreen.
It's the same thing as the Kubrick arguement.

Which one do you release for home video when they protected 4x3 and framed for 1:78?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 AM

it would have been nice if they included both, but they would have probably upped the msrp of the set to have done so. in anycase someone shouldnt pass on this set as it looks absolutely beautiful in hd. i really hope enough of these sold to warrant future seasons to be released on bluray.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Most HDTVs have zoom button you know.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
It's the same thing as the Kubrick arguement.

Which one do you release for home video when they protected 4x3 and framed for 1:78?
season this was not the case. it is not overly protected for 1.78:1 and I remember watching the letterboxed versions when they aired (they usually only aired once) and thinking in some cases they weren't framed very well.

in the case of season 1, I can let the aspect ratio go. 4:3 for the season ALWAYS looks good, 1.78:1 by my memory occasionally looked like it was missing picture.

but yeah, season 2 and beyond they better release true widescreen versions.

edit - I agree it would have been nest to release both versions of each episode on the disc.. but double the space (Even just video/angles) probably wasn't the most cost effective way to do it, for them or for us.