The Ups and Downs on Blu-ray reviews - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Former Member

Default The Ups and Downs on Blu-ray reviews

We have plenty of people talking in threads that get lost, about what sites they read reviews on, what they like about the place, what they dislike. it seems this becomes an issue when people wonder where a particular review is.

i'm not going to pimp myself in this thread. any comments i make will be about other sites. i at least have SOME class.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Former Member

Blu-ray.com's reviews-
Strengths- many reviewers. the fact they have a doctorate in music reviewer doing the operatic titles is absolutely amazing in my books. steady stream of reviews, many imports.

Weaknesses- they're too fluff for my books. the reviews are rarely negative. everything seems to get 3.5 to 4 stars. they're out for an agenda, and the scores there certainly reflect it, which hurt credibility, and would piss me off if i relied on them alone to get a disc that is significantly less quality than their score described.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Former Member

DVDTalk Forum-
Strengths- they bring blu-ray to the masses by having 1/2 of their mainpage advertised reviews be a rotating blu-ray link next to the dvd featured title. their replay value score is also pretty neat.

Weaknesses- again, their scoring system. they have blu-ray on the same scale as dvd, and when i see a dvd get a 4 to 5 star picture quality review, i scoff so hard, knowing how that would equate to a 2 to 2.5 on blu-ray. it's just a really crippled system.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:58 PM

HighDefDiscNews Reviews!

Strengths: Very accurate info, they often get straight the point, BOLD the important things, havent noticed any mistakes in their disc stats.

Weakness: Not always on the ball, Often they will give it a better recommendation just cause its a good film.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

OMG I don't like this! LOL.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Former Member

lol Loys, i think we all have our constructive criticisms. NO site is perfect.

Blu-news.com (YOU ASKED FOR IT)
Strengths: reviews a plethora of titles, gets them up pretty fast, very easy layout to navigate. a lot of content for just one guy

Weaknesses: reviews don't hit on the movie itself too much (in the closing paragraph for a few lines usually, but we've talked about this in private, so i'm not bashing). Your niche is the video/audio quality of the titles, and since that is what truly matters in HDM, it's not a big deal, as everyone has their views on the movie itself, right?

Last edited by project-blu; 11-18-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
HighDefDiscNews Reviews!

Strengths: Very accurate info, they often get straight the point, BOLD the important things, havent noticed any mistakes in their disc stats.

Weakness: Not always on the ball, Often they will give it a better recommendation just cause its a good film.
and Sluss is full of himself. from his own site, now on page 5:

Quote:
was just the “tip of the iceberg” with the pun intended and you’ll understand why in a few moments.
only fools who think they are funny say "pun intended" when they're just being redundant and dull.

Quote:
After the screening of Stiller’s hilarious film we were treated to an awesome lunch where we (the entire staff of this site) had a gentleman from marketing for the studio sitting with us having lunch.
smooch smooch?

Quote:
He also was thrown a large amount of titles that should come out from the studio from namely my co-writers and fellow “carpoolers”. One of our favorite of the carpool, our driver and good friend Ronald Epstein (Co-Owner of Home Theater Forum) made the suggestion of some classic films like “Wings” from 1923 and “The African Queen” from 1951.
he deserves a cookie!

Quote:
Well, I’ll try to make a long story short here. Turns out Paramount listened to everything we said and I do mean EVERYTHING. With the exception of Spielberg films obviously as they are mostly DreamWorks.
Derr, i like candy! seriously, derr?

Quote:
We also suggested titles like “Apocalypse Now” (James) and the biggest one came from my co-writer / co-founder Brendan Surpless when he dropped the bomb. Brendan asked about “Titanic” coming to Blu-ray. Just for the record, ladies and gentleman. I’m proud to call Brendan and James my colleagues and friends. G
does his back hurt from patting himself too hard?

if that post were any more full of itself while kissing so much ass that it earned the nickname "rimmy", it would implode.

if you can't tell, i'm not a fan.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Former Member

HDDb.net

a site that compiles numerous site's reviews for an index against themselves. very smart!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
and Sluss is full of himself. from his own site, now on page 5:

only fools who think they are funny say "pun intended" when they're just being redundant and dull.

smooch smooch?

he deserves a cookie!

Derr, i like candy! seriously, derr?

does his back hurt from patting himself too hard?

if that post were any more full of itself while kissing so much ass that it earned the nickname "rimmy", it would implode.

if you can't tell, i'm not a fan.

LMFAO!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Former Member

BeyondMediaOnline

Strengths: plenty of content, and a strong layout. very nice way of starting a review on the mainpage, and having a clickthrough for the full review. reviews seem to be very timely to their releases based off of importance.

Weakness: no real scoring system on the titles, for easy reference. people are inherently lazy, so to not give a quick easy look, it can turn some of said ADHD'ers off. still, very solid, yo!
Closed Thread