'Chuck: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Default 'Chuck: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken's review of 'Chuck: The Complete First Season' has been posted. He says this is slow to get going, but it establishes the series in the first few episodes and sets you up nicely for the current season. This Blu-ray has awful video, average sound, and a smattering of supplements. Worth a look, if only to get up to speed for the second season.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1679/chuck_s1.html
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Still cant find this in store
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM

And yet, still no Band of Brothers, Hellboy 2...or even a review of Blow for that matter.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Great show, wish it had gotten some better blu treatment though.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Great show, wish it had gotten some better blu treatment though.
I think the Blu-ray treatment is fine. It has to do more with the source than anything, and I personally thought it never looked like standard-definition.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm disappointed to hear of the poor PQ... but can't say I'm shocked. I've been watching faithfully since the pilot and the broadcast leaves a lot to be desired, but most distracting is the level of noise that appears (albeit intermittently) that takes away from a very funny, entertaining show.

that said, i'll probably still buy it though
Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm certain the noise is part of the source recording and not the encoding, as it is clearly visible on the broadcast as well.

They just need better cameras.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Watched it a few times never got into it. NOW GIVE US THE OFFICE. aha
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead4 View Post
And yet, still no Band of Brothers, Hellboy 2...or even a review of Blow for that matter.
I know. This "Ken" guy should stop teaching his four-year old to read and write, pump out two reviews a day instead of one, and give us what we want!

Seriously though, keep in mind we only have three reviewers (compare that to the deluge of titles on the market), we don't have permission to hire more reviewers (which we desperately, desperately need), some screeners don't arrive (Band of Brothers), other screeners arrive so late after their release date (Blow) that it's tough to fit them in and still hit the big titles being released at that time, and we're already furiously digging through so many titles that we can't keep up with everything as quickly as everyone is demanding we do (Hellboy 2).

Sorry to rant (it's not specifically at you), but the sense of entitlement on these boards is getting out of hand. Try to keep in mind that all of the content on this site is provided to our readers for free. Every time someone gets offended that we don't have a particular review, I feel like I'm watching a homeless man walk into a friendly, cozy shelter to complain about the selection of food he's being offered.

Thanks as always for posting, thanks for your readership, and thanks for your passion. Just remember we're three mere mortals who can't possibly keep up with the sheer volume of releases on the market. Rest assured, we're not idiots. If it's possible, we work very hard to get reviews up early and in a timely fashion. If you don't see a particular review, there's a good reason for it. Even if it's just the fact that I spent some extra time teaching my son how to write a lower-case "e".
Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Settle down, Ken!

Nah, just kidding.

I think that Chuck is not the best display of HD, and yeah, I noticed it especially when I viewed from a short distance, but I still think it looks better than the star treatment it received here. I'm glad I made the purchase.

Plus, this show is just so good (good in the "I enjoy it" way, not the "It's so smart" way!). It's hard not to be interested.

Bottom line, I think that if someone likes this show, they won't be disgusted with their purchase. It's worth it.