Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'JFK' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken has reviewed 'JFK.' He says this is fascinating stuff. This Blu-ray sports faithful (albeit intentionally uneven) video, strong TrueHD audio, and mucho supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1602/jfk.html

Watched it last night, great film, and great presentation.

JayAuritt is offline Member

I'm really getting tired of PQ reviews like this one - the reviewer says that it's an accurate representation of what was put on film, that it is the best presentation on disc available, yet it's given only 3-1/2 stars. As far as I'm concerned, if the source material is to "blame" for not allowing the blu-ray to look 100% perfect, then the rating is not fair nor accurate. HDDigest is known for this kind of thing, and should be criticized accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by JayAuritt View Post
    I'm really getting tired of PQ reviews like this one - the reviewer says that it's an accurate representation of what was put on film, that it is the best presentation on disc available, yet it's given only 3-1/2 stars. As far as I'm concerned, if the source material is to "blame" for not allowing the blu-ray to look 100% perfect, that is not fair nor accurate. HDDigest is known for this kind of thing, and should be criticized accordingly.

I like Kenneth, but disagree just a tad on the PQ. I'd actually give it a 4 star.

I really liked this movie when I first saw it, but after watching a segment on the History Channel ripping apart the story, it ruined the movie for me. I don't think I'd be able to detach myself from all the made up things in the movie if I were to watch it again. So pass for me.

Arkadin is offline Member

[
    QUOTE=JayAuritt;1278605]I'm really getting tired of PQ reviews like this one - the reviewer says that it's an accurate representation of what was put on film, that it is the best presentation on disc available, yet it's given only 3-1/2 stars. As far as I'm concerned, if the source material is to "blame" for not allowing the blu-ray to look 100% perfect, then the rating is not fair nor accurate. HDDigest is known for this kind of thing, and should be criticized accordingly.
    that's just not the review paradigm the reviewers subscribe to on hdd.
    the ratings are based more on an absolute scale which takes into account every other title released on the format.
    It does end up sometimes giving the short shrift to older films that have been given extremely faithful bd transfers, but that's just the way hdd rolls.

I really wish some B&M stores in my area would get this title in.
    still can't find it.

Mr. Id is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
    I really liked this movie when I first saw it, but after watching a segment on the History Channel ripping apart the story, it ruined the movie for me. I don't think I'd be able to detach myself from all the made up things in the movie if I were to watch it again. So pass for me.
    Hearst's yellow-journalism propaganda mill puts another sheeple back to sleeple. Sweet dreams.

For my part, I'd like to express my intensive gratitude for K-Brown's sound and thoughtful review. The best by him I've read yet.

(Regarding PQ ratings of intentional roughness, this is an intractable problem, but K-Brown explains himself.)

My copy is on order, but it's unfortunately tethered to my pre-ordered Wall-E!
    Hope to get it by T-giving.

PeterTHX is offline Member

From the review:
    Stone doesn’t want us to accept his version of the events carte blanche, he wants us to realize that the story that has been handed down over the years is, at its very core, a joke
    And now we have this:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27705829/

The thing about the conspiracy theorists is that none of their versions hold water if you really think about them. Especially since a lot of them weren't even *alive* when JFK was assassinated.

People can't wrap their heads around the fact that one man or one thing can change history (just ask the late Archduke Ferdinand).

JFK is political fiction that unfortunately later generations who don't bother to learn history will accept as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    [

I really wish some B&M stores in my area would get this title in.
    still can't find it.

I've had troubles locating this title too, I'm hoping there wasn't some type of unannounced delay or recall. At any rate, I'm looking forward to picking this up and watching right away, the compelling performances will do it for me in this movie every time. Good to hear that Warner didn't slouch with the transfer. Kinda wish that 2008 Kennedy Documentary was in 1080 though too.

Arkadin is offline Member

it got released, but apparently there was some kind of problem getting stock out in time for Tuesday's opening at many stores.
    Hopefully they'll be there very soon.

nelll is offline Member

Ken strike us with another (and superb) review. Keep it up.
    Why...... So......Serious?

Mr. Id is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
    From the review:

And now we have this:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27705829/

The thing about the conspiracy theorists is that none of their versions hold water if you really think about them. Especially since a lot of them weren't even *alive* when JFK was assassinated.

People can't wrap their heads around the fact that one man or one thing can change history (just ask the late Archduke Ferdinand).

JFK is political fiction that unfortunately later generations who don't bother to learn history will accept as fact.
    Oh, brother. Another proof-by-computer-animation.

Sheeple just can't wrap their heads around the fact that history is written by those in power to serve their own purposes. (Just ask Sadaam, a U.S. client and asset until the U.S. turned against and lynched his ass, telling the sheeple, "Amerikana has always been at war with Mideastia.")

will9631 is offline Member

I might have to pick this up, if only because Costner's house in new orleans is actually my grandparents old house on first street in the garden district (next to the manning's house as a matter of fact). We visited the set while they were filming and got the royal treatment, though I was a little young to really appreciate it at the time. In fact we took a picture with Kevin Costner, Sissy Spacek, me and my sister in front of the house (posing like a family) and sent it out as our christmas card that year just to mess with all our friends. They even cast my cousin as the youngest daughter in the film (not a speaking role, but she does get a close up in front of the tv) and the royalties paid for a good chunk of her college tuition years later. I'll have to find out what she gets from the blu-ray release.

Its funny though, I've never seen the whole film. As a kid I found it a little on the boring side.

RY35AN is offline Member

SO true...it's sad to see so many people write off something that was obviously a conspiracy of one form or another (who knows who/what/where) and just accept what they're told to believe.

ben1080p is offline Member

Never seen it but was very intrigued with the History Channels 2 hour thing on the JFK assassination so Im gonna have to check it out.
    Format Neutral
    BD:78 HD:85

Arch-Nemesis: ben1080i

Quote Originally Posted by dannyschmanny View Post
    epic ben1080p.......f***ing ....epic.
    Yea..im that awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast