'An American Carol' -- pre-release thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 AM
PeterB

Default 'An American Carol' -- pre-release thread

Vivendi Visual has announced a January 6 Blu-ray release for the Red State comedy:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/americancarol.html

There's no tech or extras specs yet, but stay tuned.

MSRP is $34.98.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:31 AM

You know it just pained Peter to post this.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM

Sweet, I can pick up this AND Disaster Movie on the same day!:

USA USA USA
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven View Post
Sweet, I can pick up this AND Disaster Movie on the same day!:

USA USA USA
I might give this one a rent after seeing this movie in the theater. I love all the movies by the Zuckers and Jim Abrams such as the Naked Gun series but David Zucker made this movie on his own and it really didn't deliver the laughs as you would expect.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayley1 View Post
I might give this one a rent after seeing this movie in the theater. I love all the movies by the Zuckers and Jim Abrams such as the Naked Gun series but David Zucker made this movie on his own and it really didn't deliver the laughs as you would expect.
From seeing the trailers, I didn't expect much.

Wake me up when Airplane and The Naked Gun are released.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM

As a strong conservative, I was pretty disappointed by this movie - it really is tough to seamlessly combine serious political and moral issues with fart jokes. I'm not saying it can't be done, but this movie didn't pull it off. Some of the individual performances were quite good (Voight's speech, Robert Davi's terrorist leader, Dennie Hopper's judge and, the guy who played nephew/naval officer (in an awesome parody of a 50s squaresville character)), but it did not hang together. I would also give Farley props for doing the best he could in a very strangely written character.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 PM

This looked soo stupid. I mean it actually a decent actor or two and then the trailer made it look worse than any other spoof film.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 AM

I put up a more detailed review of An American Carol at Amazon, after watching it over the last few days.

The quick and dirty version: Unless your contempt for Michael Moore only rises to the level of dislike (and not onto more serious hatred), don't bother. If you don't dislike him (but aren't one of his fans), well, you might enjoy it as it's a Zucker (Airplane, etc.) film, but really it hardly seems worth the effort. I would also add that if you don't like Country music, definitely skip it as you'll get some of that too and probably be turned off all the more.

Why did I watch? well, I like Country music, enjoy Zucker films, don't much care for Michael Moore, etc. Even with all that in mind I was glad it was a fairly short film. It wasn't horrible, but definitely isn't something that I'd recommend buying.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM

This looks to be about as funny as the Fox News Half-Hour Comedy Hour or whatever they called their lame attempt at making a conservative version of the Daily Show.

Let see if I got this right. Michael Moore makes statements (through his documentaries) that the gov't isn't doing it's job in certain ways and the right's response is to make fun of Michael Moore. Isn't that a bit childish? Isn't that like shooting the messenger?

FYI, if I total all the parts of his movies and pieces of interviews that I've seen, Moore has consumed about 3 minutes of my life. I'm not a Michael Moore fan.