'Black Christmas (1974)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Default 'Black Christmas (1974)' - High-Def Digest Review

For those with a post-Halloween hankering for some horror, Peter's review of 'Black Christmas' has been posted. He says this is a must for genre fans. This Blu-ray isn't much of an upgrade from past DVD releases, with middling video and audio and incomplete supplements (compared to previous editions). Give this a rent, or purchase if you haven't gotten yourself a copy of the DVD.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1718...stmas1974.html
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Those specs sound awful.

Why the 2 star on the PQ/AQ?

I'll be renting it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

You know, I'm actually a horror fan, and have not seen this or the remake either. Should I?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead4 View Post
You know, I'm actually a horror fan, and have not seen this or the remake either. Should I?
You should definitely see the original, in my opinion. I can't say the same about the remake, though.

Also, this is the third review I've read for the blu-ray, and it's just a bit disappointing that they couldn't have a done a bit more for the picture quality.

CC
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM

There's some fun to be had with the remake, although I would keep your expectations low.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM

fans will definitely feel the upgrade to BLU - theres a lot more depth in the image as the screenshots in this post show.

The review is correct though, who an afford to spend tens of thousands restoring a limited appeal Blu Ray that may sell a few thousand copies.
This is the best you'll see this title without a complete restoration, and truthfully even then it wont get much better.

This issue will plague many old films that have limited appeal going forward and reviewers would be wise stating such in their criticism....otherwise sales will be so low that many independents simply wont be able to afford to release their material on new formats going forward. (let alone the 15k to 25k authoring cost compared to DVDs $2k cost)

Black Christmas on Blu Ray is pretty much what the movie looks like on 35mm, and probably always has. I doubt it has ever been different to this, apart from improved contrast levels on a better stored print.

Id rather have the BR than the SD DVD any day though.

old dvd

blu ray
Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfixx View Post
You should definitely see the original, in my opinion. I can't say the same about the remake, though.

Also, this is the third review I've read for the blu-ray, and it's just a bit disappointing that they couldn't have a done a bit more for the picture quality.

CC
A lot was done for this release, trust me, i was there !

More money has been spent on restoration and cleaning than you would believe...the print is very bad if you see it in its native state.

Sales don't allow for even MORE money to be spent.....for little yield.

I wish more could be done, but obtaining a better print on a 35 year old film from the CDn tax shelter days is VERY tough.

I am still looking though and will never give up lol

Last edited by Danyuld; 11-12-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:57 PM

The original is a classic. Even if it isn't a huge upgrade in PQ, it's still an improvement over SD DVD. A definate buy for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM

I just got this in today. I can't wait to watch it.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyuld View Post
fans will definitely feel the upgrade to BLU - theres a lot more depth in the image as the screenshots in this post show.

The review is correct though, who an afford to spend tens of thousands restoring a limited appeal Blu Ray that may sell a few thousand copies.
This is the best you'll see this title without a complete restoration, and truthfully even then it wont get much better.

This issue will plague many old films that have limited appeal going forward and reviewers would be wise stating such in their criticism....otherwise sales will be so low that many independents simply wont be able to afford to release their material on new formats going forward. (let alone the 15k to 25k authoring cost compared to DVDs $2k cost)

Black Christmas on Blu Ray is pretty much what the movie looks like on 35mm, and probably always has. I doubt it has ever been different to this, apart from improved contrast levels on a better stored print.

Id rather have the BR than the SD DVD any day though.

old dvd

blu ray

Wow, the chick on the right looks like Uma Thurman with a perm!