Disney chooses to Re-Release Mary Poppins on DVD, not Blu-Ray! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 AM

Default Disney chooses to Re-Release Mary Poppins on DVD, not Blu-Ray!

According to UltimateDisney.com Disney has announced a two-disc
Mary Poppins: 45th Anniversary Edition for DVD release on January 27th, 2009.
The 2-Disc set will feature the same transfer and bonus features from
2004's 40th Anniversary Edition DVD and add four new featurettes
about the Broadway musical. SRP is $29.99.

Art Can Be Found at:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/coverart.html

The question this begs here is why not on Blu-Ray?
I could understand Oliver & Company not seeing a release due
to it not yet receiving a restoration...but what is the excuse on this time?
The film has already undergone a significant 2k restoration by Lowry Digital in 2004.
Maybe Disney will wait until 2014 for the 50th anniversary. Yikes!
How do you feel about this film being slighted for Blu-Ray?

Would you buy it on Blu-Ray?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 AM

figures.

yes i would have bought it
Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 AM

wow, way to go Disney! Fools.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:58 AM

Disney has its own special way of screwing over collectors of its movies . People should stop buying every every edition so quick and maybe it would smarten them up.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 AM

I've long ago given up trying to make sense of Disney's reasoning when it comes to releases.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 AM

honestly for the greatness of Disney's releases overall they are extremely slow imo.
they release few titles and are, of course, praised universally (with the exception of GONY), yet Warner which releases FAR more titles gets slammed mercilessly.
I just can't believe Disney has not released even ONE fucking older classic live action flick yet. (20,000 leagues under the sea, The Parent trap, Old yeller, that darn cat, etc. etc)
the free pass for Disney from everyone on here needs to END unless they start releasing more older titles more quickly imo.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Disney treats their Blu-ray releases as a business, quality is second to none and releases are few and far between and usually sell well enough to make a profit. If I owned stock in the company, I would agree with the strategy that maximises profits over the long run. Disney's family releases often have little or no competition on the market so releasing several at any given time would be Disney competing against itself, consumers aren't buying large quantities of Blu-ray discs yet and the market is still small. I don't know why Poppins isn't being released on Blu-ray but maybe Disney will offer an explanation, almost certainly there is a sound business reason for the decision. After another 20 million players are on the market, I expect Disney will pick up the pace some and release more. Until then, we are likely to see very high quality with very few releases but enough for fans to run out and buy a player.

Chris
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
honestly for the greatness of Disney's releases overall they are extremely slow imo.
they release few titles and are, of course, praised universally (with the exception of GONY), yet Warner which releases FAR more titles gets slammed mercilessly.
I just can't believe Disney has not released even ONE fucking older classic live action flick yet. (20,000 leagues under the sea, The Parent trap, Old yeller, that darn cat, etc. etc)
the free pass for Disney from everyone on here needs to END unless they start releasing more older titles more quickly imo.
Arkadin show me any classic WB animation or show me one of their classic titles with DTS HD MA 7.1 surround sound like "Sleeping Beauty".

Free pass?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM

I dunno guys.... is this title REALLY that important for Blu-ray? I mean, there are certainly other titles that could/would benefit more from a High-Def upgrade rather than this.... right?

Mary focking Poppins?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 AM

I LOVE what Disney has done with their animated releases.
I have stated that many times.
BUT, they should have released at least ONE classic live action title by now.
simple as that.
I don't think that is unreasonable at all.
I believe that is what I stated.
Disney needs to release more older titles more quickly imo.
that is what my post addressed--nothing more nothing less.