'Firefly' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 AM

Default 'Firefly' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken's review of 'Firefly' has been posted. He is definitely a fan. This Blu-ray edition has come problematic video, impressive DTS HD Master Audio, and a generous serving of extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1271/firefly.html
Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, as is the case with many “Firefly” fans, I sampled the series on DVD when it was too late to do anything to help save the show from its broadcast fate.
Same exact thing happened to me. Barely even knew the series existed. I remember vaguely something about it and I think I even tried to watch one of the episodes (I think it was the one where they Inari goes to a ball and Mal gets in a duel) and was bored. Just didnt have a base of information to go on and it just didnt set. Then my sister dragged me to a movie called Serenity and I knew absolutely nothing about it. LOVED the movie! Then I borrowed my sisters DVD set and was hooked. Bought my own version of course and watch them every 3/4 months, this has been ongoing for a number of years lol.

I know ppl hope still something will someday come of the series and its very highly doubtful but you never know...look what happened to Star Trek.

Oh btw Fox sucks balls!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 AM

I heard good things about the movie from friends. Then I watched it, wow...awful.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighairyman View Post
I heard good things about the movie from friends. Then I watched it, wow...awful.
First off this is not the movie, it is the TV series... The movie is Serenity...

Secondly this TV show was really a gem... Fox totally was retarded to cancel this show, I heard when they originally ran the show, Fox aired it out of sequence which did not help Firefly's fate.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwasted View Post
I heard when they originally ran the show, Fox aired it out of sequence which did not help Firefly's fate.
Wow...if true, how imbecilic. I haven't seen the aforementioned show OR movie yet.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 AM

Not only did Fox air the episodes out of sequence, they moved its time slot constantly (I believe around MLB at the time) making it virtually impossible to follow.

Just saw this series for the first time last week, and was blown away. Writing, casting, acting...all done to near perfection. It has just the right balance of action/drama/comedy, ideal pacing, and there is ZERO dead weight as far as the characters go. You care about every single person on that ship by the end.

I also watched Serenity after the series, and I feel you cannot fully appreciate the movie unless you've seen all of Firefly and know every character's background. The one thing that bothered me though...skinny Kaylee just looks wrong. I like the natural version of her as seen in Firefly.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 AM

Fantastic series, although from the sound of it I don't want to be spending this much on the Blu set. The sound will be a significant upgrade over the DVD set, but.. it's AUD $90 plus shipping from Amazon. I'll have to wait for some kind of sale.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
Fantastic series, although from the sound of it I don't want to be spending this much on the Blu set. The sound will be a significant upgrade over the DVD set, but.. it's AUD $90 plus shipping from Amazon. I'll have to wait for some kind of sale.
Why import it?

Doesn't EzyDVD have it for $75 AUD?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwasted View Post
I heard when they originally ran the show, Fox aired it out of sequence which did not help Firefly's fate.

That's true, but to be fair for most people the pilot is the weakest of the series. Compared to the rest of the episodes, it just doesn't stand up. Of course, FOX could have realized that they should have aired them in order AFTER they changed the TV pilot... But yeah, for the most part just FOX being FOX.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Bighairyman, the movie wasn't nearly as good as the TV series, and if you had never seen the show, I can't see how you'd enjoy it. While I give the TV show a solid A/A+, to me the movie is a B/B-.

I'm very interested in buying this, but am hoping it'll go on sale between now and the end of the year. Even at $58 on Amazon now, I think the price is way too high when I've seen the regular DVD set at Wal-Mart for about 14 bucks.