Where is Freedom? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Where is Freedom?

I was looking for a review or even it included in today's releases. Well they have it in the store, going to blind-buy. I'm not sure if anime releases from Honneamise/Bandai Visual are being listed.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteling View Post
I was looking for a review or even it included in today's releases. Well they have it in the store, going to blind-buy. I'm not sure if anime releases from Honneamise/Bandai Visual are being listed.
Review from Animeondvd (Mania.com):

http://www.mania.com/freedom-box-set_article_87206.html
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Former Member

max, some titles still haven't received a review (see; dirty harry box set) for months. some titles get it in advance. i couldn't tell you how the system works, as in when it will be posted/if.

how much was this set in stores? what store did you see it in?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM

My local BB had one copy for a cool $99 roughly.
looked like a really nice set, but I don't know a lot about anime so I'd have to learn a lot more about this before even thinking about dropping that kind of bread.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM

It's a seven-part OVA (original video animation) series sponsored by a cup noodle company (there is product placement for the noodles in the show, but it doesn't really get in the way of the story). The designs are heavily reminiscent of AKIRA, but the animation is cel-shaded CG rather than traditional hand-drawn animation. I had the chance to watch the first couple of episodes on HD DVD , and the visuals really do pop in high definition. However, the Blu-ray release outdoes the HD DVD release in a number of ways (never mind the fact that the double-length final episode was never released on HD DVD). The audio has been upgraded to TrueHD, and the Blu-ray includes an English dub track for the first time. Since I've only watched a portion of the series, I can't really comment on the story, other than to say that it's sci-fi, and that it involves teenagers and racing. Others have said that the middle section goes off course a bit, but that the series gets back on track for the finale. There are clips from the show available on Youtube if you want to sample the animation style.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM

good info!
thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM

I just finished the boxed set and I'm real happy with it. The packaging is pretty interesting like the other Honneamise blu-rays i have(Wings of Honneamise and Yukikaze). The main feature has French as well as English and Japanese which I wasn't expecting since the HDDVD didn't have it. It is lacking the storyboards like the review said but the improved sound made up for that. I always preferred storyboards on paper anyways, not sure why but if it doesn't compromise the AQ PQ of the disc I don't mind. The look of the show is very Akira, since Katsuhiro Otomo did the Character and Mecha design. The story/scenario feels very Dai Saito (with Katsuhiko Chiba) who did Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Eureka Seven, some Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain, Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo. As a side note the advertising doesn't detract from the show that much. Oh my only thing is not necessarily a review but having it represented on the site with a release date, cost, and back of disc info so more people can know anout this OAV.

Last edited by MaxSteling; 11-11-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add something