'Baraka' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 AM

Default 'Baraka' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh's review of 'Baraka' is up. He says this is fascinating visual art. This Blu-ray has exceptional audio and video and some informative supplements. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1659/baraka.html
Old 11-10-2008, 01:04 AM

I have been waiting for this one; I'm glad to read that it is done justice. A very nice film.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Excellent review Josh. Hopefully this thread can avoid the hoopla on the AVS thread.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM

Baraka is my favorite Mortal Kombat character, I am glad to see he got his own film....

This is high on my list of must rent before I buy BDs. Hopefully I don't find the imagery too disturbing, I have never seen Baraka before.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM

[
Quote:
QUOTE=kdssrugby;1271293]Excellent review Josh. Hopefully this thread can avoid the hoopla on the AVS thread.
should I even ask what the drama involves?
it's gotta be dnr/ee based right?
I mean what possible other issue could there be right?
btw: great info Josh.
I had never heard of these films before recently.
as far as this thread becoming like the avs one--it will never happen simply because not many people on here give a crap about this bd.
and as far as the packaging--yes it SUCKS.
these companies just like in the music industry want to try and hide behind total bs claims of "helping the environment"
yeah sure.
I know that's all those greedy fatcats think about all day right?
"gee how can we help save the planet?
oh I know we'll start making our packaging even more shitty"
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
should I even ask what the drama involves?
it's gotta be dnr/ee based right?
Yes, there are a couple of people on AVS who believe that this is the most DNR'ed Blu-ray EVER.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 AM

I've given up on that forum, the people over there will NEVER be satisfied by anything, ever. I rented Baraka, and even though I didn't end up loving the film, there is no doubt that this is a magnificent looking disc. In fact, I'd say one the best home video releases ever.

I kid you not, there was actually a recent argument over there about DNR in the opening credits sequence of one disc - which was friggin white text on a black background!!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
I've given up on that forum, the people over there will NEVER be satisfied by anything, ever. I rented Baraka, and even though I didn't end up loving the film, there is no doubt that this is a magnificent looking disc. In fact, I'd say one the best home video releases ever.

I kid you not, there was actually a recent argument over there about DNR in the opening credits sequence of one disc - which was friggin white text on a black background!!
LOL

When will people learn DNR is a necessary tool to transfer film to video. If too much is applied, that can cause people to over-exaggerate it.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Just finished watching it, I noticed the slightest bit of ringing in just a few scenes, and thats only because I was looking for it after reading the thread over at AVS.

This is a beautiful disc, PERIOD.

Now as for the packaging, yes it sucks.

As for the film itself, I tried to like it, and i did find some of the scenes truly amazing, but near the end of the film, I must admit I was sort of waiting for it to end, which is not a good sign.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 AM

I too just watched it. I have to say it looked and sounded good, but it didn't really keep my attention. There were scenes that I liked, but in general, I would recommend Planet Earth over it.