'From Russia With Love' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Default 'From Russia With Love' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'From Russia with Love.' He says this is classic Bond. This Blu-ray has great restored picture, good sound, and lots of extra features. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1582...awithlove.html
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Spot in. Lowery did a marvelous job with the movies.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM

I agree with Josh's review wholeheartedly. It is a terrific transfer. I have run out of Bond movies to watch on Blu-Ray now and I hope more are released of the same fine quality and caliber. Watching this on DVD now would be painful next to the Blu-Ray.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM

I think Monty Norman might take exception to the line in the review claiming that John Barry was behind the James Bond theme...
Old 11-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Excellent Film. Will def get more of the bonds when they go for under 15.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I think Monty Norman might take exception to the line in the review claiming that John Barry was behind the James Bond theme...
There is a controversy over who should be credited as composer on the "James Bond Theme". After a lengthy court battle, Norman retained the credit. However, it is undeniable that Barry had a tremendous influence on the final product (which sounds much more like John Barry's previous work than it does Monty Norman's).

I didn't want to waste a lot of space on that topic in the review. What the review states is, "John Barry had previously contributed to the famed 'James Bond Theme'," which is accurate to say.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Default I disagree with this review

I posted my review on Monday, and I disagree. I was not at all impressed with the video restoration - thought it looked horrible. Unnatual skin tones, really bad grain, details just not there. My review is at

www dot williamhenley dot com slash highdefreviews slash 007FromRussiaWithLove <- It will not let me make URLs until I post more posts, my appologies
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM

I was extremely impressed with this disc. Colors are amazing and I noticed no film anomolies and sharpness was dead on. Some modern-day films wish they could look this good!

I thought the 5.1 remix was rather nice too.

I've seen this, DAD and THUNDERBALL and FRWL is my favorite transfer.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis_from_fort_Worth View Post
I posted my review on Monday, and I disagree. I was not at all impressed with the video restoration - thought it looked horrible. Unnatual skin tones, really bad grain, details just not there.
You honestly thought this looked horrible? Either your system is messed up, or you have unrealistic expectations. The early Bonds feature some of the most striking picture quality for films of this era. From Russia looks better than it ever has, an absolutely gorgeous restoration.

Especially when you consider what previous home video releases have looked like for the Bond films. I guess there's just no pleasing you...
Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM

I thought the review was dead on. The only issues I saw was in the boat scene but that's just nitpicking how well this film has been restored.