'Futurama: Bender's Game' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Default 'Futurama: Bender's Game' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken has reviewed 'Futurama: Bender's Game.' He says it's a funny direct to video movie that should please fans. This Blu-ray has excellent picture and sound and some fun supplements. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1692...ndersgame.html
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM

Sicckk. I watched it on DVD and thought it was the best one of the 3 movies yet. Will definitly be getting it on soon !
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I aswell belive it's the best of the three.
Great review. Gonna check out the PIP Commentary soon.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM

On my list to buy.... just waiting for the inevitable drop on Amazon.

Great review Ken. I agree that at times these DTV Futurama's do run a little long for one sitting... as much as it pains me to say it.

Mike, I like these early posted reviews. You should do them more often... by which I mean all the time. As a matter of fact, just put up all the reviews you have right now... screw the posting schedules....

Or not.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 PM

You guys really thought it was the best of the 3? Honestly? Maybe it was just me but this particular movie drug on.

I didn't hate it but I won't buy the until the other 2 are out in HD as well since I already have the other 2 on DVD .
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM

maybe we'll get a box set
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM

"the more you enjoy the series, the more you’ll enjoy this straight-to-video production."

Riveting stuff.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
"the more you enjoy the series, the more you’ll enjoy this straight-to-video production."

Riveting stuff.
You'd be surprised how many people ask, "if I've never watched the series, will I still enjoy this movie?"

It may not be riveting, but it directly addresses a very common question. Thanks as always for posting!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXorcist View Post
You guys really thought it was the best of the 3? Honestly? Maybe it was just me but this particular movie drug on.

I didn't hate it but I won't buy the until the other 2 are out in HD as well since I already have the other 2 on DVD .
You should buy it anyway. Unlike Simpsons, Futurama will be easy to transfer to HD and showing support by buying this title will let Fox know there's a fan base for it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
You should buy it anyway. Unlike Simpsons, Futurama will be easy to transfer to HD and showing support by buying this title will let Fox know there's a fan base for it.
Like, the TV show (as in not the two other films but what aired between 1999 and 2003)? If so, nope not so easy to transfer to HD.

A large majority of the show uses CGI (both 3D & "4D" shots are most of the time 100% CG), plus other aspects of the show used CG, this will not be easy to transfer.

Futurama aired on Fox during the time when they were pushing "Enhanced Widescreen", the show was never produced in HD (albeit it was never in widescreen either but whatever). This means that the extensive CG elements were only rendered in standard definition. To make matters worse, unlike shows that have SD elements but were shot on film (such as Firefly and Enterprise), all of Futurama - not just CGI - was 'rendered' at standard def. The show also used computers to color and shade the "cells". While it was "hand-drawn", the show was essentially a CG production.

The entire show exists only in standard def and has no 'film' to go back to. The show exists entirely in a digital realm - all in SD.