IMAX titles Super Speedway and Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk to hit Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Default IMAX titles Super Speedway and Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk to hit Blu-ray

Image Entertainment is releasing a couple of new IMAX features:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1934...rspeedway.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1935...adventure.html
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM

Excellent. Been waiting for Super Speedway to hit Blu. Easily one of my favorite demo disc's on DVD, PQ & AQ are incredible—one of the best on DVD. I've lost track of how many times I watched Super Speedway. Interesting feature narrated by Paul Newman. Great (driver's point of view) camera work that really captures the sensation of power & speed. Strong, forceful audio puts you right in the driver's seat—engine sound, turbulence, great detail all around (the LFE is awesome). Even the soundtrack hits the mark. Every time the Dire Straits sequence kicks in, I get a big smile on my face, sit back & enjoy the ride. Plus the making of feature really puts you behind the scenes helping answer the question... "how'd they do that? February 10th— can't wait!

edit: I wanted to clarify describing the standard DVD as just a favorite demo disc. That's not a fair depiction, because simply calling it a favorite demo disc might suggest that outstanding PQ/AQ is the only thing Super Speedway has to offer. Far from it. (I don't want anyone to dismiss it thinking it's only a "fluff" disc just to pop-in for a couple of minutes to showcase their home theater).

Super Speedway captures auto racing unlike anything else I have ever seen on film. It has an interesting story that follows open wheel racing in the modern era, along with a cool little piece from Mario Andretti's past. It's a solid IMAX feature from start to finish... that also happens to be a great demo disc. I can't think of another SD title that has better PQ/AQ. "The Fifth Element" transfer (SD), even takes a back seat to Super Speedway. Again, I can't wait to get this on Blu!

Last edited by Nismo; 11-18-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM

to state the AQ on the standard disc is incredible is an understatement -Super Speedway delivers such astonding DTS soundmixes it's akin to sonic whiplash. Hand it to Image to master these IMAX films for hidef in the best video and audio presentations - Warner's deserves a serious blow to the head on how to do the same to their IMAX blurays.