Forbidden Planet? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Forbidden Planet?

Anybody have any clue when Forbidden Planet is coming out on blu ray? Because as we all know it was previously an hddvd exclusive and from what I've heard the picture quality was amazing. So does anybody know, any inside sources or anything?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM

I owned this on HD DVD, and it was an exceptional release. I'd get the BD if it's released.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Yeah that's what I've heard, and I'm just wondering if anybody has inside info from Warner?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze1 View Post
Yeah that's what I've heard, and I'm just wondering if anybody has inside info from Warner?
We've got a handful of Warner exclusive titles that need to be released. Out of all of them I think Forbidden Planet will be one of the last. It sold poorly on HD DVD (and the collector's set did even worse). If we get it anytime soon (read between now and end of Q2) I think it might be similar to Casablanca - i.e. expensive as hell with a bunch of extra crud.

Warner titles that still need to be released on blu:

The Dukes of Hazzard <----- IME = longer wait
Caddyshack <----- Filtered 1080i. Needs new master/transfer/encode
Grand Prix
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory <----- Filtered 1080i. Needs new master/transfer/encode
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory <----- IME = Longer wait.
Excalibur <----- Filtered 1080i. Needs new master/transfer/encode
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
Forbidden Planet
Casablanca-(December 2nd)
Poseidon <----- Low bitrate "experiment", expect a poor port

Most of those titles need work, but almost all of them would (sadly) sell better than Forbidden Planet. I would expect it (along with the rest of these) to receive quiet releases next year.

But that's just my opinion.... I don't know when it's coming nor do I have any real info.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 AM

I expect it to be released in 2009 at some point without much warning or press.
I think all of the titles above will make it out by the middle of the year next year.
The only ones I see being held back are the Wonka titles. I'm guessing they will do a full blown restoration on Wonka and then release Charlie alongside of it.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
We've got a handful of Warner exclusive titles that need to be released. Out of all of them I think Forbidden Planet will be one of the last. It sold poorly on HD DVD (and the collector's set did even worse). If we get it anytime soon (read between now and end of Q2) I think it might be similar to Casablanca - i.e. expensive as hell with a bunch of extra crud.
I don't think Warner is too worried about titles selling poorly. Didn't people think the HD-DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood sold poorly? Yet I've been able to get the Blu-ray of it as of August. Warner loves their home video division -- remember reading that they were going to focus on less new theatrical productions and sink more of their capital on their home video division? That means seeing more catalog stuff and lots more Blu-rays on the way. I would expect Forbidden Planet within the first half of 2009. They already have an HD encode; that's the hardest part.

But to address the original issue once again: it's a sci-fi classic. Last I knew, sci-fi has always been a great-selling genre on home video -- one of the best. I'd be surprised to hear that Adventures of Robin Hood outsold Forbidden Planet in any format ever.

Also, I do not think it will be released in a big package a la Casablanca. Forbidden Planet was released with a giftset in an elaborate tin on DVD a couple years ago when the 2-disc SE DVD first hit shelves. I expect it drop exactly like Robin Hood did -- not much press. I also think it would outsell Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) and Grand Prix (if not a few others on that list) if not a few others you listed there. Remember, Robbie the Robot is an icon!