What a difference a year makes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Default What a difference a year makes

One year later and what a difference, good and bad.

Last year at this time we were in the midst of a format war and were seeing new Blu-ray BOGO sales being announced weekly. Pricing was great.

This year, with the format war a distant memory, we are in a different environment to be sure. No more BOGO's for the most part.

The good news, however, is that with the end of the format war we certainly have seen a step up in the number of Blu-ray release annoucements The bad news, at least as I see it, is that I had hoped for a more active holiday release schedule where catalog titles/classics are concerned. On that front, it is a bit quiet with only a few classics (i.e. Dr. Strangelove, original Day the Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, Casablanca, and a few others) being offered for the holidays.

Looking forward to a more active 2009; that is if the economic woes do not slow things down for the studios.