'Planet of the Apes' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM

Default 'Planet of the Apes' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Planet of the Apes.' He says this is a sci-fi classic that still fascinates. This is a solid Blu-ray, with good-but-not-fantastic video and audio and plenty of supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1804...tapes1968.html
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Mine showed up today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out tonight. Thanks for the review!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Love the movie, and popped into best buy at lunch to impulse buy a copy..... when i saw the 36.99 price tag I then impulsively walked out of the store.

An online purchase for $25 would be more appropriate for me.....

And can you believe that every single one of the APES movies was also priced 36.99
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyuld View Post
Love the movie, and popped into best buy at lunch to impulse buy a copy..... when i saw the 36.99 price tag I then impulsively walked out of the store.

An online purchase for $25 would be more appropriate for me.....

And can you believe that every single one of the APES movies was also priced 36.99
Got to love Best Buy pricing these 2 dollars over MSRP...
Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Thank you for the "Republicans are bigots" jab.

Besides, I thought we were reviewing movies here not acting like we were auditioning for Olberman's spot on MSNBC.

As for the movie, I liked it as a kid but since the Burton remake, Ape-people make-up has come to really creep me out. Not sure I could sit through watching this as I now avoid the remake.

As for Heston, if I recall coreectly, he *converted* (or evolved) to conservatism later in life, sometime in the early 80's I believe.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Yeah Fox! Congratulations on a so so release! I'll wait until this finds it's way into the $15 and under bin.

I agree that the Heston jab was uncalled for, but I think D Strasse is reading a bit more into it than what's there. It adds ZERO value to the review.

Watch this space for my Special Comment.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Formerly candymangt

My expectations of the Blu-ray release weren't high on PQ/AQ considering how old the print is. I was happy with the A/V quality, granted it could have been a smidgen better. I just don't like that FOX is charging $25 for a catalog title. I ended up ordering 'Beneath Planet of the Apes' today from Amazon for $24, which is still pricey imo.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev511 View Post
Yeah Fox! Congratulations on a so so release! I'll wait until this finds it's way into the $15 and under bin.
If you think this is a "so-so" release then you have ridiculous expectations, and I don't know if there was any way that this blu-ray would have satisfied you.

For a 40 year old film, this is a triumph. Looks absolutely fantastic, sounds great and has the biggest wealth of supplements on any single disc release I've ever seen. And all this for under $25?

Bravo, Fox. Bravo indeed.

I agree with blu-ray.com's ratings:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...49&show=review
Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM

talk about epic failure. this review has it in spades. 3 1/2 stars for a classic film. coming from a person that gave sex and the city a higher score. A/V were both excellent. Not as good as sand pebbles or patton but very good.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev511 View Post
I agree that the Heston jab was uncalled for, but I think D Strasse is reading a bit more into it than what's there. It adds ZERO value to the review.

Watch this space for my Special Comment.
Maybe you're right, but some of these reviews can get unnecessarily political as others have pointed out.

Isn't this one of the few places on the net where we can "all just get along"