Tell Lionsgate what you want from BD-Live - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Which of these potential BD-Live features most apeal to you?
User created PIP commentaries using the PS3 Eye camera and other web cameras 17 32.69%
Live streaming filmmaker commentaries (video/audio) 28 53.85%
Live video chat using the PS3 camera and other web cameras 18 34.62%
Registration points for merchandise or coupons 27 51.92%
Multiplayer gaming 15 28.85%
Desktop Theme downloads for PS3/PC/Mac 24 46.15%
Scene Editing Suite (alternate shots, shot order, music, etc.) 19 36.54%
Comic Book Creator (arrange shots from movie, speech balloons, etc.) 13 25.00%
Private Forum/ News board/ Merchandise Store 17 32.69%
Interactive 3D environment based on universe of title w/viewable or downloadable content 33 63.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Default Tell Lionsgate what you want from BD-Live

Yesterday I was contacted by a post production house working with Lionsgate. They had enjoyed what I did on MoLog and read my review here. We arranged a phone conversation and spoke for maybe 45 minutes strictly about the future of BD-Live.

It would not be appropriate for me to reveal what he said to me, but rest assured new features are coming to BD-Live from Lionsgate.

What I can do is tell you my half of the conversation. I made several suggestions for things BD-Live could accomplish that would be attractive to film fans.

This individual wrote down my suggestions and is going to bring them to the production head today. He said he would email me later today to let me know how it went down.

In the meantime, I thought it would be helpful if we voted in a poll so they could see which items apeal most to core users. You can vote for as many as you want.

Last edited by Fettastic; 11-06-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Personally, it's worth having on one player in your home for the potential of something worthwhile (maybe), but not critical to have in every single player in the house.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Formerly weaponX6282

I have yet to use one single BD-Live feature because I have no interest in any of that. I think it's a neat gimmick to get people to buy 2.0 players, but I do not feel it adds any significant value to my film watching experience. In fact, it actually hindered my film watching experience then first time I popped Iron Man into my PS3. I've since disabled the internet connection for movies. If I ever see something that I must try out, maybe then will I re-enable the 2.0 functionality of the PS3 and try the feature. Until then, all that really matters is PQ/AQ, the film itself, and maybe the occasional deleted scene.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponX View Post
I have yet to use one single BD-Live feature because I have no interest in any of that. I think it's a neat gimmick to get people to buy 2.0 players, but I do not feel it adds any significant value to my film watching experience. In fact, it actually hindered my film watching experience then first time I popped Iron Man into my PS3. I've since disabled the internet connection for movies. If I ever see something that I must try out, maybe then will I re-enable the 2.0 functionality of the PS3 and try the feature. Until then, all that really matters is PQ/AQ, the film itself, and maybe the occasional deleted scene.
So none of my suggestions are grabbing you?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Your poll and your thread subject dont' exactly align... But yes, I think BD-Live is well worth it and I think that we're going to see a lot of new innovative content not listed in this poll, though it's worth noting that I think any successfull BD-Live content is going to be content that is *NOT* optimised for a specific BD device (i.e. PS3).

I think what Disney is putting together is a great example of the kind of very interesting systems that can be built with web-enabled content and I think is what a lot of us HD DVD fans were thinking of when discussing webcontent all these years. Unfortunetly the current implementation is broken, but that's nothing new for Disney... They've struggled a lot over the years when implementing new business units, take Disneyland for instance
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Formerly weaponX6282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
So none of my suggestions are grabbing you?
not a single one..... I consider myself in the target market too. I have 2 PS3s, 2 HDTVs, over 160+ movies, between owning and renting I watch about 4-5 movies a week, between the ages of 25-40 and have disposable income. Those things are nice (the features), but they are not a reason I would have to buy or rent a disc. I think 2.0 was created to solve a problem that didn't exist. When I sit down to watch a film, I don't care how many other people are watching the same thing, I don't want to see them, I don't want them to see me, I don't want to chat with them about it and most of the time I couldn't care less what the director/producer/star thought of the film while I'm watching it. Like I said, until they make something that really grabs my attention, BD-live is wasted on me.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM

nothing grabs me as 'worth it', the things maybe that would be interesting could be better accomplished on a separate website or should just be on the disc to start with
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM

The one use I'd find appealing is what I have never seen:

Downloading additional subtitles and/or dub tracks.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM

You know what would make it worth it?

If they had new theatrical trailers downloaded for preview and this offset blu-ray's costs and dropped it down by 5-10 dollars a piece.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
nothing grabs me as 'worth it', the things maybe that would be interesting could be better accomplished on a separate website or should just be on the disc to start with
I repeated to him what I've said here before that if it could be on the disc, that's preferrable to downloading. He suggested that maybe trailers for films that weren't available at the time of release would be good, and I agreed.

I also suggested to him that all content for all titles be available in a single location. So just by purchasing one BD-Live enabled disc, you would have access to all BD-Live content for every film. At first that may come off as giving the cow away for free, but just think of how many new people could be attracted to titles they otherwise wouldn't be exposed to. He said he thought that was an interesting idea.