New Sony Blu-ray advertising campaign. $$ Front page banner strip ad on USA Today - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Default New Sony Blu-ray advertising campaign. $$ Front page banner strip ad on USA Today

Today, Sony ran a very very expensive front page banner strip ad across the bottom of the front page of USA Today.

Its significant in a couple ways. First off, the timing just a day or so after the US presidential election means the placement will have among USA Today's highest circulations for an issue for the year. A lot of people will see this ad.

It also includes a strong establishment of a high quality BD-Live player from the largest Blu-ray brand at a new lower $299 price point.

It either was very expensive (its not cheap on a usual basis, let alone on a prominent high circulation day at short notice) or it was well thought out, planned in advance and/or is the start of a much longer term ad campaign.

Ad copy includes:

Quote:

Introducing a high definition stimulus package

Now you can enjoy movies in Sony High Definition for $299 or less.

Introducing the new Sony Blu-ray Disc player.

Plays Blu-ray Disc Movies, DVDs and can even connect to the Internet.

Learn more at sony.com/hdna
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

Scan the ad?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 AM

click to enlarge
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomba View Post
Scan the ad?
here ya go....
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Couldn't spring for a top of page banner ad? Those cheap misers!

Seriously though its good that they're promoting BD, although I'd like BD to have had more prominence in the ad over Sony's 'High Definition DNA' strategy, because to be honest I think thats a lousy marketing approach for their entire HD product lineup, not just BD.

Definitely a good day to advertise though, people might be less stingy and more optimistic.
Since political threads are banned, thought I'd say congrats to the Americans here for electing a decent president that we (being the rest of the world) don't have to worry about!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Seriously though its good that they're promoting BD, although I'd like BD to have had more prominence in the ad over Sony's 'High Definition DNA' strategy, because to be honest I think thats a lousy marketing approach for their entire HD product lineup, not just BD.

Definitely a good day to advertise though, people might be less stingy and more optimistic.
Since political threads are banned, thought I'd say congrats to the Americans here for electing a decent president that we (being the rest of the world) don't have to worry about!
Seems like Sony has lost any/all of it's confidence w/ advertising this generation (going by video games) unless it has Peyton Manning in the ad.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 AM

That's an AD??? How 'bout doing those full page "TurboHD" newspaper ads that Dish Network is so fond of. Now THOSE are ads!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
Seems like Sony has lost any/all of it's confidence w/ advertising this generation (going by video games) unless it has Peyton Manning in the ad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
That's an AD??? How 'bout doing those full page "TurboHD" newspaper ads that Dish Network is so fond of. Now THOSE are ads!!!
I used to work in advertising and that spot on the front page is extremely expensive. The idea of paying for the top part of the paper may or may not be an option depending on the paper. Since their layout might depend on regular use up top. That being said, enough money can change any layout.

Secondly, the location of the ad is okay but the directional force of the location on the paper sucks. It would have been better to have a taken 3/4 columns and require the reader to read down on the left side to engage the advertisement with their line of sight/attention.

Thirdly, the rule of thumb is the text INSIDE the advertisement should be bigger than the reading text by AT LEAST 4 points, but you should always strive to get it as big as possible within limits of the paper's rules. If the paper said, you can have 24 point letters but not 36 (usually not to compete against the actual headlines), then you should make it 26 points and hope they don't notice!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I applaud their efforts, but seems like they picked the wrong ad to put there. The ad is fine probably in a magazine, but on the front page of the paper, I would have totally designed it differently.

P.S. When I was a grad student, I used to TA marketting in journalism 300 level courses. This ad would get a c minus at the beginning of the semester. At the end, a D-.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Nice... Not a game changer, but nice.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

The bottom of the first page is a very expensive and dominant placement.

In black its also more prominent in real life.