Question for those who bought Planet of the Apes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Question for those who bought Planet of the Apes

I'm not talking about the entire Evolution set or the 2001 Burton remake; I'm talking about the stand-alone 40th Anniversary release of the first film itself that came out on Blu-ray today.

I'm wondering what bonus features are all included on this release. I really don't want to buy the whole collection (I don't think I would get repeated enjoyment out of viewing all the sequels) but I'm guessing there is a lot of bonus material that is only available if you buy the set. Does anyone know if that's true?

Most importantly, does anyone know if the feature-length making-of doc that appeared on Fox's 2-disc 35th Anniversary Edition is included on the stand-alone Blu-ray of the original 1968 POTA? That's basically a make-or-break deal for me. If it's on there, I buy -- if not, I steer clear. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

What was the making of called. Was it 'Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary? As for the boxset, the discs are identical to separate releases, the only addition being the big book included. I have the individual 40th Anniversary release, as well as the boxset.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
What was the making of called. Was it 'Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary? As for the boxset, the discs are identical to separate releases, the only addition being the big book included. I have the individual 40th Anniversary release, as well as the boxset.
So the box set doesn't include an additional disc or two that just have bonus features? That is good to know. The feature-length documentary was called "Exploring Planet of the Apes" and it originally aired on AMC. So... it doesn't sound like that is on there. I wonder if the doc that is on there is more comprehensive and/or uses a lot of the same archival footage and interviews (it showed Edward G. Robinson makeup tests and everything).
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

There is another feature called 'The Archives Of The Apes: Original Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson, Roddy McDowall's On-Set Footage, Dailies and Outtakes, N.A.T.O. Presentation, Vintage Planet of the Apes Featurette, Teaser Trailer, Original Theatrical Trailer.

The boxset does not include extra discs, only standalone versions of the films, as well as a thick book.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
There is another feature called 'The Archives Of The Apes: Original Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson, Roddy McDowall's On-Set Footage, Dailies and Outtakes, N.A.T.O. Presentation, Vintage Planet of the Apes Featurette, Teaser Trailer, Original Theatrical Trailer.

The boxset does not include extra discs, only standalone versions of the films, as well as a thick book.
Thank you for the info... it looks like the Archives stuff features most of (if not all of) the additional featurettes that used to be on the 35th Anniversary Edition 2-disc set. And I was wrong: the Edward G. makeup test was separate from that doc, as it was here. The doc just had a small sampling from that featurette in it. I guess I will wait for some reviews on this to pop up to see if the new documentary on the Blu-ray is as substantial in length as the one I have seen before (unless you have access to the runtime of the new doc!).
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

I can check for you in an hour or so if that's fine.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 AM

www.dvdbeaver.com has a review of the 1st film up
they say it looks very good-- not surprisingly the best ever for this movie.
so sounds like Fox has done a pretty good job here.
I think they talk about what extras are on the set also.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Taken from my upcoming review:

Commentary By Actors Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter and Natalie Trundy, And Makeup Artist John Chambers
Commentary By Composer Jerry Goldsmith
Text Commentary By Eric Green, Author Of Planet Of The Apes As American Myth
Science Of The Apes Bonusview (38:53) (SD)
Beyond The Forbidden Zone Adventure Game
A Public Service Announcement From Ansa (6:06) (HD)
Evolution Of The Apes (23:37) (HD)
Impact Of The Apes (11:39) (HD)
Behind The Planet Of The Apes Documentary (2:06:44) (SD)
Behind The Planet Of The Apes Promo (2:19) (SD)

The Archives Of The Apes:
Original Makeup Test With Edward G. Robinson (1966) - (9:34) (SD)
Roddy McDowall's On-Set Footage - (20:14) (SD)
Dailies And Outtakes (No Audio) - (19:50) (SD)
N.A.T.O. Presentation (1967) - (10:30) (SD)
Vintage Planet Of The Apes Featurette (1968) - (4:42) (SD)
Teaser Trailer - (2:18) (SD)
Theatrical Trailer - (3:05) (SD)

The Galleries Of The Apes:
The Ape (HD)
Interactive Pressbook (HD)
Advertising (:30) (HD)
Lobby Cards (:27) (HD)
Makeup (:48) (HD)
Costume Design Sketches (:30) (HD)
Props (:30) (HD)
Behind-The-Scenes (1:18) (HD)

D-Box Motion Code
Old 11-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Former Member

damn, that's loaded like a 90's Robert Downey Jr
Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 AM

I was considering picking up the boxset via the upcoming DeepDiscount sale, but I may just buy the individual titles that I really want. Tough call..