Blu-ray Rentals at Red Box! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 AM

Default Blu-ray Rentals at Red Box!

I was returning a DVD at my local Red Box rental machine today (Monday) and, much to my delight, I noticed that both Get Smart and Transsiberian had Blu-ray versions in the machine (not available for rental just yet, but in the machine for release on Tuesday, along with the standard DVD versions too). This is the first I've seen of Blu-ray titles being available in a Red Box rental machine. Granted, it was just two titles but their displayed rental price is still just $1.00 (plus tax) per day!!

Now the sad news... Apparently, there is only one copy each of the Blu-ray versions. I say that because, typically, you can reserve a movie in advance via Red Box's web site. I very frequently will wait up until just past midnight on Monday night/Tuesday morning and log into my Red Box account, peruse the selection of Tuesday releases, and reserve a copy before the store opens that houses the Red Box machine. This assures me of getting a new release movie no matter what time I visit the machine on Tuesday. However.... you can only reserve a copy of a movie via on-line if there are at least TWO copies of a given title in the machine. The machine always saves the last copy for walk-up rental only. And, in the case of the two Blu-ray titles, they are NOT showing up as being available for on-line reservation/rental. That indicates just one copy each.

It will be interesting to see if either or both of the Blu-ray versions are left when I visit the machine around 11am Tuesday.

Mark