'Dr. No' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'Dr. No' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Dr. No.' He says the movie remains an entertaining start to the legendary series. This Blu-ray has incredible video and excellent bonus features. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1581/drno.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
FourToedStatue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,001
Default

I did not know about the DR. No laser disc commentary. What was said that caused it to be recalled?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I did not know about the DR. No laser disc commentary. What was said that caused it to be recalled?
It's been a long time since I listened to the Criterion commentaries. All things considered, they're pretty tame. There is no single moment when you'd say, "Oh my god, I can't believe he just said that!" or anything.

Criterion released the first three Bond films. Between the three, there were a lot of politically incorrect comments about the Jamaican locals, about the supporting actresses, and about Sean Connery's off-camera womanizing (which was reportedly just as aggressive as Bond on-camera). More to the point were several remarks about Harry Saltzman being a tremendous pain in the ass to work with, which I believe upset him greatly (true to form) and led to the demands that Criterion recall the discs.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
utl768's Avatar
Formerly metsfan1545d
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,072
Default

having never seen a james bond film before these blu ray releases i thought this movie was terrible luckily from russia with love and thunderball saved me from giving up on the franchise tho
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
ModernTenshi04's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 115
Default

Are you kidding me? Dr. No was essentially like Casino Royale in the way it presents everything.

And while Thunderball was good, and I'd only seen bits of it before I picked it up on Blu, I knew where things were going after the intro. Kick ass fight, but then he runs out onto the terrace, and there's a fucking jet pack waiting for him? The fuck kind of shit is this?!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
ben1080p's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,520
Default

It was somewhat of a Bore..I always thought From Russia With Love to be the true start of the franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
resevilfan86's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 774
Default

Good review. Can't wait to hear about the other Bond titles that have yet to be reviewed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernTenshi04 View Post
And while Thunderball was good, and I'd only seen bits of it before I picked it up on Blu, I knew where things were going after the intro. Kick ass fight, but then he runs out onto the terrace, and there's a fucking jet pack waiting for him? The fuck kind of shit is this?!
Bond planted the jet pack there in advance so that he'd have an escape route after he killed the target.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's been a long time since I listened to the Criterion commentaries. All things considered, they're pretty tame. There is no single moment when you'd say, "Oh my god, I can't believe he just said that!" or anything.

Criterion released the first three Bond films. Between the three, there were a lot of politically incorrect comments about the Jamaican locals, about the supporting actresses, and about Sean Connery's off-camera womanizing (which was reportedly just as aggressive as Bond on-camera). More to the point were several remarks about Harry Saltzman being a tremendous pain in the ass to work with, which I believe upset him greatly (true to form) and led to the demands that Criterion recall the discs.
...now i want to hear these tracks, dammit! no fair!

and great review. these bond flicks are tip-top, video wise, for certain
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Sarge in PA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 36
Default

Great movie.
Great transfer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Monster High: Welcome to Monster High' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 11-11-2016 04:40 PM
High-Def Digest's Holiday Gift Guide 2014: All the Best Blu-rays and High-Def Goodies Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 11-15-2014 12:20 PM
‘Resident Evil - The High Definition Trilogy’ – High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 18 12-26-2009 02:21 AM
'High School Musical 2' - High-Def Digest review jed Blu-ray Software General Discussion 17 12-16-2007 01:51 PM
'Sky High' -- High-Def Digest review PeterB Blu-ray Software General Discussion 10 10-15-2007 03:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off